Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

golfshake handicap card in portugal

Posted by: user218381 | Tue 26th Jul 2011 21:59 | Last Reply

Hi - I am off to the Lisbon area in Portugal in a few months time with some golfing buddies (we run an informal golf society and try to have at least one big trip a year).  Does anybody know whether they are likely to accept a golfshake handicap certificate there?

I have played golf for over twenty years but as a young parent I just dont get the time to make it worthwhile joining a proper club and getting the handicap down to what it should be (quite a few of us are in the same boat). Anyway this is why the golfshake handicap appeals - I used to be a member many years ago but cant see myself getting value for money out of it at the moment....

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks - Nick

re: golfshake handicap card in portugal
user355541
Reply : Tue 26th Jul 2011 22:41

In my experience in Spain, Portugal and Turkey, very few clubs give more than a glance at handicap certificates. Without wanting to stereotype, you can't imagine that a fair number of Germans (OK and a number of Brits as well) can play to whatever it says on any certificate they produce. 

user250721
Reply : Tue 26th Jul 2011 22:53

I'd suggest emailing and asking?? Even if you point them in the direction of this site so that they know its not some 2 bit made up handicap.

Better to be safe than sorry.

user24437
Reply : Wed 27th Jul 2011 00:05

I've played all over England and a few times in Portugal and never, not once, have I been asked to prove my handicap*.  With the current financial climate in Portugal the only proof you'll need is the cash I reckon.

And James made a good point, when you see some of the duffers over there you'll all of a sudden feel like a pro - just pray you don't get stuck behind them.

* Once, at the Belfry, I saw the starter politely suggest that a 4 ball may be better off going to the Derby course rather than play the PGA after watching them all attempt to tee off.  He was very good about it..

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top