Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driving Irons

Posted by: user300419 | Sat 23rd Jul 2011 22:31 | Last Reply

Do we have any users here?

I personally cannot abide my woods, I truly hate them and have honed my  game around not using them. I currently use my 5 iron for driving which isn't bad because I can keep up with other people and their drivers.

I've always fancied a driving iron but I was wondering what people's opinion of them are? Can you get on with them?

Last edit : Sat 23rd Jul 2011 23:56
re: Driving Irons
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 23rd Jul 2011 23:58

I'm good with my long iron, both off the tee and from the floor.

The lowest iron I go to is a three iron, although my first ever set of clubs came with a two iron.

I've been thinking of getting a driving iron but never actually got around to it.

You don't see many in the shops so I guess I would have to search on the web for one.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Sun 24th Jul 2011 00:22

Stuart

if you can match most people's driver distances with your 5 iron what's the problem?  Why not just use a 3 & 4 as well?

Seriously, there seems to be an obsession with having the 'correct' clubs in peoples bags.  Use what gives results, you don't have to a take a bag full of clubs for a walk just for the sake of it.  Just think, if you can hit any club consistently 180 yards that puts most par 5's in range in three...

user99350
Reply : Sun 24th Jul 2011 13:08

The last twenty years have seen the one and two iron clubs all but disappear and as Ivan says they're either custom built or (like mine) vintage. I think it's a v underrated club (to which you might reply 'well you would say that ) but seriously it's invaluable if you're into the wind with tight fairways. The problem is people think they can't use them and that's why they've vanished.

user52922
Reply : Sun 24th Jul 2011 15:06

You are so right, Patrick. Everyone these days takes the easy way out, but they do not realise what knowledge they are passing up. Even 3 and 4 irons are considered to difficult to hit these days and with everyone seeming to be able to hit a five iron 200 yds, one can see why.

user401216
Reply : Sun 24th Jul 2011 20:41

Hello Stuart,

I used to be in exactly the same boat as you. Similar handicap too. Also making no real progress with my golf just 'keeping up with others'.

That was until i bought a Ping Rapture driver with a 13.5 degree loft only a month ago. Gone from 22.6 to 16 and the best is yet to come. Still using the irons and putter from my Wilson starter set from American Golf.

I am not saying to go and buy the same club - but you must find the woods that suit you.

Doug.

user52922
Reply : Thu 18th Aug 2011 18:05

I am afraid StuartG has been sworn to secrecy, StuartR.

user407798
Reply : Mon 22nd Aug 2011 14:52

Agree with Doug. Got a Ping G15 driver with 12 deg of loft after as custom fit session and it's a joy to hit. Goes at least 30-40 yards further than my mid 90s vintage "Big" (now tiny) Bertha and I am getting straight drives about 8 out of 10. I could not believe it yesterday when I "connected" with one and it stopped just short of a ditch having covered 295 yds. I used it on every par 4 and 5 yesterday and was only in real trouble once. I doubt I could be as consistent with a 5 iron and would have been a good 75-100 yards back on every hole even if I was.

Then again my first worst shot yesterday was when I took a 7 wood off tee on a par 3 and ducked hooked it OOB. Duh. That's definitely when I was trying to be too ambitious but hey I carrted the thing round with me and was the right club for the hole.

In fact I finding driver easier than my fairwood woods. Maybe a technique thing as the driver is a tee up and sweep thing, the fairway woods I clearly need more practice.

It's largely confidence isn't it. On my first "long" hole after my long lay off from golf I took out a 7 iron, tee'ed it up and just punted it down the fairway. Such a relief to play 2nd shot from the short stuff...

I also now really love my G15 4 iron hybrid. Finding it much easier than a fairway wood say for 2nd shot on a par 5 or long par 3s.

user52922
Reply : Tue 23rd Aug 2011 19:54

Stuart, you always knew that I was a mine of useless information.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top