Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The Shanked Pitch Shot

Posted by: user405848 | Fri 22nd Jul 2011 10:12 | Last Reply

This is something I never thought was possible.  Or very unlikely at least.  As we take a shorter swing there is less time to screw up right?

During my round yesterday, my pitching was rather good.  But I shanked 3 pitch shots with what felt like my NORMAL swing.

Could anybody tell me why I am doing this?  It seems very strange as I swing at the ball as I would when I get a clean contact.

What am I doing wrong guys?  It's rather frustrating actually.

re: The Shanked Pitch Shot
user99350
Reply : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 15:59

For a temporary fix put your weight on the heels of you feet.

user50843
Reply : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 21:01

I do this sometimes (rarely now) but only on pitch shots and 3/4 shots, I put it down to a syncro problem between my body and arms ( body turns faster to catch up to arms) which leaves the club feeling like it's behind me, and,  angryhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/angry_smile.gif" title="angry" width="20" /> **anK. I find that keeping my body "quiet" works, arms and hands only, works for me, till I forget. cryinghttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/cry_smile.gif" title="crying" width="20" />

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 21:15

Lazy swing with no commitment   that's what does it for me, timings all out.  Once I start I have a nightmare stopping it!

user24437
Reply : Sat 23rd Jul 2011 09:46

I started doing it a while ago, the higher the loft the worse it got.  When I had some lessons the pro pointed out that the the more delicate a shot I was trying to play the more my feet were being aligned to the right of the target - sometimes as much as 30 deg off!  No idea why I started doing it, but the result was that I was trying to compensate during the shot by tucking the club in under my body so everything closed up and I was getting perfect contact, unfortunately with the heel of the club.  Got some belting shanks as a result.  I still do it if I don't concentrate fully on aligning my feet with the target - I put it down to having one shoulder shorter than the other - but at least I know why I do it now so that's half the battle.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top