Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

In The Zone

Posted by: user40826 | Wed 20th Jul 2011 08:18 | Last Reply

Been reading a few books at the moment some for work some for golf.   Sir Ken Robinson - The Element and a few by Bob Rotella.

Both of them talk about being 'In The Zone' and it got me thinking if I had ever been 'in the zone'  Thinking back over the last few rounds and thinking about what both authors talked about I would have to say at times, yes.

Take Monday night - practice night.  Ended up spending nearly two and half hours there.  An hour on the range and an hour and half putting and chipping.  Everything I struck felt brilliant, I even slam ducked the hole from when practicing my flop shots over a nearby tree!  Never done that before.  Lost all track of time, even the drizzle didn't stop me.  Only a phone call from the Mrs wondering were I was brought me back to reality.

Ken Robinson talks about time passing quickly, losing track of time, a clear joy in what your doing.  All these things happened during this practice sessions.

Yesterdays round was a mixture.  I had in my mind how much everything worked the previous practice day but try as I might I could not get into 'the zone.'  Swing didn't feel as natural, shots didn't come as easy and I stumbled my way round to +5 at the turn.  The books clearly say its near impossible to force yourself into 'the zone' and when you recognise your there, things tend to change.

I drove up 10 and then hit a cracking 3 wood to be on the green in two.  Walked off with a birdie.  My pace picked up and although I carded a double on the next hole, things 'felt' different.  The next few holes were amazing. Par, Par, Par, Par, Par, Bogey, Par.  The back nine in +2.  Even the bogey on 17 I considered a save with a 15ft putt.  The Par on 18, got down in 2 putts from 50ft.

My entire game changed, when I'm not sure, but it changed.  Confidence was sky high, I didn't have to think, my sub-concious did all the work.  Great feeling - How did I get in that position, I've no idea.

Anybody else describe the feeling of being 'in the zone?'  Is it something you stumble into or is it through dedicated practice?

re: In The Zone
user40826
Reply : Sun 24th Jul 2011 20:37

I don't think how you get off the first tee, hitting from fairway or hitting from the rough.  Anybody can walk up and put the ball in the right direction.  Its about a feeling, your sub-conscious taking over, not having to think about your swing, rythm, or tempo.

I never aim to get into the zone, it just happens and I can't explain why.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top