Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The Golfshake top 100 - how many have you played?

Posted by: user338942 | Wed 20th Jul 2011 01:50 | Last Reply

Bit of fun and interest - go to the courses section, click the Top 100, see which ones you've played, list and compare notes.

http://www.golfshake.com/course/top100/

Heres my lot:

#29 - Carnoustie - all be it was the Budden course, but still top quality and keptin the same condition as the Championship

#57 - Southern Dunes - In Florida - your stereotypical Amercian-ised course. Played soooooo badly that day

#60 - Sitwell Park - Played in the Golfshake matchplay last month. A real cracker of a course!

#96 - Slaley Hall - Played both courses a few times now. Always great offers to be there, highly recommended

Last edit : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 19:58
re: The Golfshake top 100 - how many have you played?
user24437
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 08:01

Er, none of them, which I found a bit suprising.  Mind you, a lot of them would be a bit on the expensive  side for my taste.

Maybe we should do as the Golf rags do and have price ranges?  

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 08:13

Yep same here Tim, thought I had played at least 2 but the list updates so none for me

http://www.golfshake.com/course/top100/

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 08:26

None for me either.

I wasn't far from Penina when we went to Portugal last February, does that count?

Perranporth GC might be getting the pleasure of me playing on their course next month, but we'll have to see how the money is!

How are these courses worked out to be the top 100?

Russ

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 08:29

rating so long as the have +3 reviews I think.

user250721
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 08:39

None for me as well.

user24437
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 09:02

Just had a quick look at some of the courses and you know what, most of them are £100+ per round.  I'm not sure what most people on here think but that's just too steep for me.  For one, at  £175 per round I'd expect to be carried round in a litter whilst being fanned by a couple of nubile young virgins for that sort of money.

user250721
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 09:08

Yup, if I had £175 for a round I'd be on Golfbreaks looking at a full weekend of golf., dinner B&B ect.

Maybe teered system that will show top 100 courses under £40/£50??

user249902
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 10:04

I've attempted tp play at 4 of clubs on list.

(20) Beau Desert

(81) Blackmoor

(31) Bearwood Lakes

(56) Marriot Sprowson Manor

Also played Camberley Heath, which I would rate as better than Sprowson Manor

user338942
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 10:22

The offers are out tgere if you look, until i played Rockliffe Hall last week (paid half price and still �50) the most i've ever paid is �25 for a round. Just have to keep your eyes open. Teeofftimes is by far the best place to find the discount.

user52922
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 10:55

I have played 26 on that list.

user16163
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 11:11

None on the list for me

i also have to agree with tim some of them are far too expensive

@JP i really thought that you would have played more than that john

user207134
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 13:40

Played two of those...

#44 Celtic Manor (The Montgomerie and the Twenty Ten)

#47 London Club (International)

Quite surprised to find that The Grove isn't in the list. Played there a few weeks ago and the place is absolutely immaculate (as it should be for the price) and I'd rate it higher than Celtic Manor and the London Club.

Actually playing another couple in the list in a few weeks time - #19 (Orange County National) and #53 (Palm at Disneyworld). Possibly playing #57 (Southern Dunes) time permitting while we're out there!

user52922
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 16:24

@JP i really thought that you would have played more than that john

DarrenM

A majority of those courses are nowhere near being in the top 100, so I would not have had the inclination to play them.

I have played most of the major amateur tour courses, which are usually held on those that are rated in the top 100.

Those that are truly missing are courses like, Saunton, Westward Ho, Hunstanton, Royal West Norfolk, Princes, Royal Cinque Ports, The Berkshire, Liphook, Swinley Forest, all courses I have played and I could go on naming quality courses for quite some time that I have had the pleasure of playing.

Last edit : Wed 20th Jul 2011 16:26
user250721
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 16:52

Guys, Dont forget that this is not an offical top 100 courses.

This is the Golfshake top 100 based on reviews left by users.

user338942
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 20:26

The Golfshake list is by no means the definitive top 100. I think they have to have 5 reviews, but what I found when looking for courses I'd expect to find on there, they have been marked down for value for money for example. Obviously if you play one of the premier courses and pay over £100, it would be hard to jusify a 5 star value for money.

@ John - I'm interested to know, being the well travelled man you seem to be, what would your top 5 be?

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 21:54

From the present list:-

#8 TURNBERY (Ailsa)

#13 VALE of LLANGOLLEN

#29 CARNOUSTIE

#40 NOTTS GC

#42 MERE

#53 DISNEY

#64 WENTWORTH (West)

#72 ILKLEY

#76 FILEY - was a member there.

#77 PORTHMADOG

#83 LANARK

TheLyth

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 22:39

I've played......

19. Orange County National Golf Center and Lodge

53  Walt Disney World Resort

......and next week may be playing......

44  Celtic Manor Resort Golf Club

.......and as I only live 30 minutes away from this one......

1  The Manor House Golf Club (Castle Combe)

......I really should play it soon

Oh, and Orange County National is still the best course I have played

Last edit : Wed 20th Jul 2011 22:40
user52922
Reply : Wed 20th Jul 2011 23:03

@ John - I'm interested to know, being the well travelled man you seem to be, what would your top 5 be?

DaveS

It is very difficult to just settle on five, as I have played many outstanding courses during my life, but If I were asked what five would I choose as my last five rounds of golf, I think I would settle for: Saunton, Royal West Norfolk, St.Georges Hill, Sotogrande(Valderama) and last, but not least, The Berkshire.

user125585
Reply : Thu 21st Jul 2011 00:03

I have played the following:

18 Vale do Lobo Golf Club Faro 5 4.80 Add to Favourites

both courses

21 Ballards Gore Golf Club Essex 5 4.80 Add to Favourites  

25 Oceânico Old Course Faro 15 4.80 Add to Favourites

43 Penina Golf & Resort Hotel Faro 7 4.71 Add to Favourites   44 Celtic Manor Resort Golf Club Gwent 59 4.70 Add to Favourites  

(The TwentyTen, Friday after the Ryder Cup!)

47 London Golf Club Kent 27 4.69 Add to Favourites  

both courses (Heritage & International)

Surprised to see Ballards Gore that high in the list, though I know since the Club house burnt down and they refurbed it they did have some good offers on recently. I played there twice this year (practice, inter club match) and Caddied once.

Out Of those on the list I would go back to the Twenty Ten again, though not sure of the cost! (I was lucky enough to join a friends corporate day)

Then the London CLub Heritage, followed by the two Vale do Lobo Courses, Old Course Villamoura, Penina. I think I would agree the the Grove is the best Course I have played not on the list.

user338942
Reply : Thu 21st Jul 2011 01:02

I 've just looked up The Grove and it is ranked 209.  As higly as the course is rated, the value for money pulls it down - £185 to play at the weekend....

user103169
Reply : Thu 21st Jul 2011 11:48

Good subject......

I think I beat you by one.

The courses on the list that I have played are

1. East Sussex National..... I think this was described as the English Augusta when it first opened. Big hype, a lot more expensive in the early days, but prices came down quite a lot. I played there 3 times when I lived darn sarf. Lovely course, very American style. Nice to have your clubs cleaned and waiting for you on the first tee.

2. Sunningdale..... Beautiful. Played there twice, won a Texas scramble event on my first visit. Second time, got a lift to the 10th tee from Bruce Critchley for a 2 tee start and later bumped into Micheal Douglas and CZJ strolling through the course.

3.Carnoustie - Obviously this was the Budden Links like you.... as we played it together. Fantastic condition, proper links golf at a great price. The best part was looking at adjacent tee's and greens at the American hackers in all their gear ... having paid about £125 in 2000.... Think the Budden was about £18

4. Sitwell Park - Lovely course. Venue of our first Father/Son matchplay victory

5. Slaley Hall - As an experience I would say a little disappointing, however great memories of walking around with Harrington and Coltart years ago, and watching Seve hit a miracle shot out of the bushes

6. - Penina, Portimoa. Best course I played on golf holiday about 7 years ago. Played awful golf all week, but this place was immaculate

My top 5 Played

Sunningdale

Corballis - Nr Dublin

Royal Barbados

Foxhills

East Sussex National

Top 5 wish list

St Andrews Old

Sawgrass

Royal Birkdale

Wentworth

Carnoustie

user331868
Reply : Thu 21st Jul 2011 14:54

Played only 1 on the list, no-77 Porthmadog in North Wales, some fantastic holes and some not so great holes, only paid £23.00 though for a weekend tee time as we played in March and definitely a bargain at that price.

user61256
Reply : Thu 21st Jul 2011 17:34

I agree with Tim, lots of these course are expensive.

I've only played two:

60. Sitwell Park (We have CGL Society event there soon for £30, bargain!)

97. De Vere Slaley Hall

I am rather suprised the following are not in the 100.

Moor Allerton, Lindrick, Rotherham, Stocksbridge as each one of these are as good as the two i have played in the Top 100.

PS: You couldn't pay me to play Hillsbrough either.

Last edit : Thu 21st Jul 2011 17:37
user16106
Reply : Thu 21st Jul 2011 21:51

NONE as yet but I dont like spending more than £8.50 on a round.

I am hoping to play the Hunting in the next 2 weeks.

Have played the brabazon but not on top 100. Should value for money come into it if its best courses?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user61256
Reply : Thu 21st Jul 2011 22:42

So many great courses not been given reviews, these are the courses where golfshakers have decided to review. Just goes to show if everyone spent a few minutes to review each course they played then the top 100 would be completely different.If everyone reviewed courses they would probably be the top 100 for working class that don't want to spend a fortune on golf, just like my mate Tim says �175 for a round is ridiculous.

Last edit : Thu 21st Jul 2011 22:44
user209897
Reply : Thu 21st Jul 2011 23:44

i've only looked at the "top 100" once...hunley hall was top... when i read the reviews it sounded like the captain/treasurer/secratary and main share holder had written them, i agree with the post above, people should leave more reviews

user77012
Reply : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 07:51

9 for me

Celtic

Manor House

Vale do Lobo

Vilamoura Old Course

Flamingos

La Finca

Belle Dunne

Pennina

Asbury

None of which would make my top 5

user26096
Reply : Sat 23rd Jul 2011 19:25

even i have played two on this list  celtic manor and rye hill. 

rye hill is a great course at a resonable price. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 14th Sep 2011 14:06

Here is the top 100 under £30:

http://www.golfshake.com/course/top100/under-30/

user21179
Reply : Wed 14th Sep 2011 17:06

its 7 for me compared with none on the under 30 list !!

For me Woking thoroughly deserves its top 10 place.

Played 36 holes there 3 weeks ago and enjoyed every one of them.

Truly fantastic track which definately ranks in my top 3 if not number 1 course played.

100 quid per person for 36 holes and buggy.  ( i didnt think that it was expensive for the quality of the day )

user23669
Reply : Wed 21st Sep 2011 22:52
                                                                    10                                                     Burnham & Berrow                                            12                                                     Woking GC                                           40                                                     East Sussex National                                            55                                                     La Finca GC                                         71                                                     Worplesdon GC           

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top