Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Out to In Swing aaaarrrgh

Posted by: user101753 | Tue 12th Jul 2011 22:47 | Last Reply

Hi guys....

Any quick tips to stop my out to in swing which is causing huuuuge slice on my drives? Ive tried training myself using a plank and a net at home in the garden which works well..... in the garden!

But when Im out on the course my scores are suffering and am losing balls a lot

Last edit : Wed 13th Jul 2011 09:07
re: Out to In Swing aaaarrrgh
user106712
Reply : Wed 13th Jul 2011 08:15

This is a bit of advise I posted as a cure for a shank but should work for any swing plane.

Ok !.Get your golf umberella (closed of course.) lay it on the ground, about 3 inches on the far side of your ball. pointing along the line you want to hit. Then just hit the ball. your subconcious will stop you hitting the umberella and keep your club swing on the right plane. then just 100 balls and you will be cured....

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 13th Jul 2011 09:20

How many times have you heard that somebody was hitting lovely shots at the driving range, then drove to the course and it's the same old problems?

If you don't slice when you are in your garden what is changing when you get to the golf course?

Is it a mental thing? 

There are two things I see when people are not playing too well.

1)  Swinging the golf club faster

2)  Trying to knock the skin off the golf ball.

My driver is a Yonex, ten and a half degrees of loft with a stiff shaft.

When I do the two things mentioned above I slice the ball, simple as that!  So what did I do to stop this?

I have a slower, more controlled back swing.

From the top I just continue to swing the golf club through to a full finish.  Hopefully, somewhere along this swing my club face will come into contact with the golf ball.

It's very hard to do on a golf course, you have all the extra pressure of people watching you, hazards to miss and a scorecard in your pocket. 

I say to myself "Low and slow" during my driver swing.  The low reminds me to brush the grass behind the ball for about twelve inches.  From there I continue up to the top of my backswing.  The 'Slow' is said on the downswing. It's not to tell me to swing slow, it's to tell me to stay in control of the club.

All of your full swing shots should only use about eighty five percent of you maximum power.  That way you stay in control and should hit some good shots.

The next time you play golf forget about how far you are going to hit the ball, concentrate on hitting the fairway.  What would you rather have, a fairway in regulation, but only two hundred yards in distance.  Or would you rather hit your driver two hundred and sixty yards but be playing your next shot from the rough?

At the North v South game this year John Pettitt told me to keep my right shoulder back during the swing.  My bad shot at the time was a pull/hook.  I now take two practice swings standing behind the ball and I concentrate on a smooth swing whilst keeping the right shoulder back.  It worked!  I only do a pull/hook once every five or so rounds.  And it's normally because I've swung the golf club to fast!

Give it a try and see if this helps you.

Russ

user249902
Reply : Wed 13th Jul 2011 19:58

Stephen,

I have/had the same problem. During a round with the club champion who has passed his PGA level 1, he gave me a simple tip.

Insert a teepeg in the ground about 6inches infront of the ball, when striking the ball the club head should take the teepeg out of the ground, this ensures your swing plain is correct. It worked for me,, I still struggle with the woods but my iron play has became a lot straighter on a more consistant basis.

I'm no expert, but hope this helps.

user115085
Reply : Thu 14th Jul 2011 09:42

You'd do well to have a look at some of Sanders posts. Forget about eliminating a slice and work on hitting the shot you want - whether fade, draw or straight (the toughest shot imo). For me - slowing down the swing is often the cause of a slice - I'll tend to get far to lazy and "armsy" and fan the ball (especially when tired). A common slicers problem is they hit the driver much like they do with irons...a downwards blow, this can be fatal with a driver and if your tendency is a slight over the top (casting) swing, the only ball flight you will get is that big ballooning slice that seems to turn faster and faster. Get your feet, legs and hips active, grip loose and let the wrists be passive, a full body/shoulder turn - and most importantly dont slide ahead of the ball.

user52922
Reply : Thu 28th Jul 2011 23:02

Sorry, Stephen, whoever gave you  that advice obviously does not have a clue. Forearms do not rotate mid swing, as this would immediately close the clubface. The right forearm crosses the left in  a natural movement after the ball is hit

user52922
Reply : Fri 29th Jul 2011 18:29

Stephen, the fact that you are pushing your shots straight right tells me that you are approaching the ball on the correct path, but failing to square the clubface at impact. What is causing this? so many things can cause this and without seeing you swing I cannot tell you exactly what you need to do to correct it.

In my case it is because I have a habit of getting my head in front of the ball in an attempt to get some power. Frustrating game, isn't it?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th Jun 2014 12:49

bump up because I liked the title

great tip here though:

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/4097/Video_3_Ball_Slice_Drill.html

Last edit : Wed 4th Jun 2014 12:49
user589973
Reply : Fri 20th Jun 2014 19:44

I seem to have a problem driving too. Iron shots are fine and i dont have a problem teeing off with fairway woods. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Last edit : Fri 20th Jun 2014 19:44

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top