Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ping custom fitting at Gainsborough

Posted by: user46280 | Thu 7th Jul 2011 10:11 | Last Reply

Hi all I am thinking of treating myself to some new ping clubs it has been suggested to have a day at Gainsborough golf the Ping academy for a day of golf and having the custom fitting service done at the same time. Has anybody on the forum done this and what were the results to your game.

By the way I am 72 years young a 23 handicap member of Stapleford Abbotts golf club Essex

do you think I would improve my game by investing in new ping clubs and hving custom fitting 

Many thanks in advance

Terry Silverton

re: Ping custom fitting at Gainsborough
user52922
Reply : Thu 7th Jul 2011 13:35

Hi Terry, being 74 myself it isn't new clubs we need, but a new body to go with the brain that still thinks it is 18 years old.

Do I think it would improve your game? in a nutshell I very much doubt it, and the reason I say this is because only the right shaft is essential and having seen that there are so few different rated shafts catering only for those whose swing speed suits. i.e senior shaft,regular shaft, stiff shaft and extra stiff shaft. If, like me you lie somewhere in between, then you will lose out.

A softer shaft than you currently use will give you added length but could make your dispersion rate slightly larger. Conversely a firmer shaft will certainly tighten the dispersion but at a huge cost to distance.

As the scoring end is at the opposite end to the tee, then  work on ones short game will show dividends and there is no nicer feeling to outplay a longer hitter by good short game work.

Last edit : Thu 7th Jul 2011 13:36
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 7th Jul 2011 15:31

Guys,

You are still in your 20's, but you now have over 40 years experience of it.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Thu 7th Jul 2011 17:10

Made me laugh as well, Lyth.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th Jul 2011 08:29

I know that they do run a day trip upto the Ping HQ at Gainsborough from Stapleford Abbotts GC.  If my memory serves me right, it costs £40

You get taken up in a minibus, have the custom fitting done and then play a round of golf on their golf course. 

Stapleford Abbotts GC are also having the full custom fitting equipment at the golf club for one week.  Not sure which week it is, but it will be on the notice board.

When Ping bought Gainsborough GC they spent alot of money on the course, so it's probably worth the £40 just to play there.

All I can suggest is that you have the custom fit, try the clubs they suggest and see if they are any better than what you are using at the moment.

From talking to people who have been up to Gainsborough it appears that you get custom fitted, but you new golf clubs are sent to the golf club for you to pick up.  You do not get them on the day and they are no cheaper.  In fact, you would probably get them cheaper from one of the golf superstores, but you wouldn't get the Gainsborough fitting session.

I am certain that you can ring them yourself and book a fitting session.  It justs means you having to go up there yourself, and you don't get the round of golf.

Hope this helps.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Fri 8th Jul 2011 10:24

Unless they've done more work you may be dissapointed with the courses (there's two there).  Last time I played there last year the greens were shocking and overall the rest of the course wasn't at it's best either.

Just saying.

user16163
Reply : Fri 8th Jul 2011 10:40

Tim

I played the lakes course last month with malc, and the 2 richards

the course itself is now in a very good condition but you have to bear in mind that at the time we were having a good spell of weather

with us that have played it know that during any sustained bad weather spells then the course does go down hill quite badly

user118394
Reply : Fri 8th Jul 2011 22:37

i was a member there for 3 years and i left because the courses had gone downhil rapidly.

but i have been assured they are spending some money on it this year,they are having all the greens replaced on the parkland course in october.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top