Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Developed a swing problem I cant figure out - Any idea's?

Posted by: user392279 | Tue 5th Jul 2011 22:12 | Last Reply

I've played golf on and off for work purposes for the last few years, but have made time to knuckle down lately and really get to improving- and all was going well, getting some consistency and striking the ball well. Needed to work on the short game but nothing practice couldn't fix.

Lately I've been having some issues. Generally I strike the ball well (the odd duff but 90% its clean enough) but suffer mostly with a push fade/slice (even on the wedges!), but then every now and again I get a double betrayal and pull hook it.

I can't quite figure out what it is. I think its perhaps the weight tranfer, I suspect I might be sliding instead of twisting, and that I'm rotating the lower body too early (not in time with the arms). I think that this is causing the club to come across me with a slightly open face, or every now and again with a closed face pull hooking it.

I've never heard of this before though - does this sound right?

Any idea's? I appreciate it's hard to say without watching my swing...

Thanks in advance for your comments.

re: Developed a swing problem I cant figure out - Any idea's?
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 6th Jul 2011 08:52

You could try swinging at half speed and once you are getting the ball to go where you want it too start to increase your swing speed.

If I get problems I will sometimes go to the range and do this.  It does appear to work.

Russ

user99350
Reply : Wed 6th Jul 2011 16:15

Tom, I don't want to make it too simplistic but in the last year I've had similar problems with my driver, it can either fade or a severe hook (having being a lifelong occasional fader and as of late a duck hooker I know I'd rather have a fade).  I found out by accident a possible culprit:. After a pulled and hooked tee shot I was under a tree. I had a clear backswing but hit the leaves coming down,  but it wasn't 'til I'd repeated it 3 times that I realised what was happening and my swing was way out of plane (usually a sign that you're not guaranteed to hit it straight). Any way I got to the practice pitch and slowed my swing down, trying to reproduce it faithfully and also noticed that on impact sometimes the club face was sometimes ridiculously closed. So I thought it was to do with my hands and shoulders. My remedy, and it's still ongoing is:

Take the club away square

Be aware of my left thumb and try and keep it in that position

Don't start your downswing with your shoulder (to start with you can conciously start your hips moving first to get into the swing of it.)

Concentrate on the strike and don't welly it (but that goes without saying).

*Irons are a different kettle of fish for me as when I practice this method with my my irons I have had the odd shnk).

This really did help me as I was quite frankly thinking of giving up on the driver and just using my 3 wood as I was getting a much more consistent result but the feeling when you start to hit a good drive again, man that's one of lifes real pleasures.

No doubt I'll keep using this 'til I mess up again and look for another fad.

user325478
Reply : Fri 5th Aug 2011 17:45

Tom

A push and fade/slice is an in to out swing path with your club face open. Suggest you're probably blocking the shot by, as you say, sliding rather than turning. Swing a little slower and dont go for distance till you've sorted it. Try practicing by swinging easily with the arms rather than forcing it with the body.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top