Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

TOP SECRET INFO on new product

Posted by: user401870 | Sun 3rd Jul 2011 14:59 | Last Reply

Hi I work for a company in the Midlands, and we have just done some work for another company (who I cannot name) but this is the best of what I know!

This is a brand new golf company being launched and it is a UK MADE golf products!  they are starting with a Wedge which looked stunning but their main objective is top quality components and technology not mass produced foreign crap that gets released by the big boys they have also got some top club builder that has designed for other companies to create the perfect golf wedge , and there second product looked like a putter again British made but GET THIS they are putting in a solid British silver insert that had a hallmark on and the feel they reckon cannot be beat , when I fished for info they didn’t tell me much only that the stuff will not be over the top priced and will easily compete with the big boys on price but surpass them on quality

Anyhow all I’ve got at the mo will let you know more info if I get any , but spread the word a company outside china is finally going to build actual golf products big boys watch out as I and all my golf mate would  buy British if we could

A.A

re: TOP SECRET INFO on new product
user24437
Reply : Mon 4th Jul 2011 12:13

Without trying to give offence to either of you, I think there is a bit too much dreaming and not enough grounding in reality here.  

Firstly Ivan, we as a country need engineers - proper, fully skilled personnel not people who fix cars or central heating systems.  Despite everything, we still produce the finest engineers in the world and if you look at the influence of UK trained engineers in the hi-tech industries worldwide you will find that we still dominate to a disproportionate extent - so I'm afraid your view is slightly skewed.

Secondly Andrew, Im afraid that maybe you should look at a few realities too.  Not all mass produced items are rubbish - after all even BMW's, Mercs and Aston Martins are, to some extent, mass produced.  Mass production allows much tighter quality control and therefore consistency, reduces wastage and allows for sub-standard parts to be thrown out - not always the case with bespoke parts.

An example.  I could design and build a Scotty Cameron putter clone.  I'd be looking at about a 3 hour design stage to get it ready for machining.  I could send it to my local machinist and even on a 6 axis CNC machine you're looking at maybe 2 hours set up and cutting, then a bit of post-machine  finish and assembly.  So, for a one off you're probably looking at £180 per putter at cost.  So if I want to sell them and cover my costs I would need to sell at around £250 minimum.  Hardly worth it.  So why bother when I could go out and buy a genuine Scotty Cameron mass-produced piece of rubbish for £120 -£180? 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top