Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Matchplay Series write ups

Posted by: user115085 | Thu 23rd Jun 2011 20:33 | Last Reply

Chris (12) & John (17) Vs Dave (13) & Tony (22) @ Sitwell Park GC Rotherham 22nd June 2011

*This is the best I could remember it...probably a few bits incorrect

After a quick bit of practice at the range, John and I arrived at Sitwell Park about the same time as Tony and Dave. The sun was shining and an occasional gusty breeze provided good weather for a testing Mckenzie original course. The chalk board by the putting green indicated they were running at nearly 10 on the stimp meter, a quick bit of practice confirmed we would be in for some slick surfaces (even after being watered).

With the use of Open Fairways cards we were all able to play for £13 each which I think Dave & Tony will agree was a bit of a bargain for the course. The pro said they were quiet and we could tee off at our leisure. Tony tossed a coin and John correctly called heads. We took the honor and John hit a good strike down the fairway of the 350 yard par 4 opener, but found the fairway bunker. I followed the tree line down the right and was blocked out from the edge of the green, Dave decided to visit the practice ground (oob) and Tony nutted one straight down the middle to position 'A'. A bit of a scramble and some average putting meant the hole was halved in 5's.

We all started better on the 2nd - a straight away par 4, me and John down the fairway, Tony and Dave either side but safe enough. John hit a solid shot to the middle of the green which almost rolled down to the lower level but somehow just stayed up on the top tier leaving a tricky putt. I flicked a wedge from a perfect lie perfectly in to the greenside bunker....then splashed about for a bit and walked off with a 7. Tony and Dave both missed the green and John did enough to win the hole.

J & C 1 up

John hit another nice drive and just hopped over the stream on a feature par 5 that winds up and round the side of a steep hill. Me and Tony decided that was boring and we'd explore the thick jungle on the side of the hill. Dave followed John down the middle, both found the green in 3 but John secured the win.

J & C 2 up

The par 4 fourth is start of a challenging stretch of quirky feature holes. At only 260 yards and sweeping down the hill depending on the wind it can be reached with a long iron or you can be 100 yards short with a driver! Facing a strong wind, John and Dave flirted with the trees on the right, Tony the trees in front, I banged a decent drive towards the right side of the green - but couldn't see where it landed from the tee. Tony had to carry on with his provisional (I think), John and Dave found theirs with Dave having to chip away from a tree before heading to the green. John smashes a wedge through the weeping willows but flew the green. Mine was pin high but nestled down in th rough. I got to demonstrate my awesome short game by thinning straight through the green and ending on a severe down slope, pitched straight past by 20 feet and 3 putted for 5, Dave did enough to get the half.

The next table top par 3 was halved in pars (no thanks to me). The following dangerous par 4 was forgiving fo me when I over hooked a 3 wood in to the trees, but bounced back in to the fairway. I made regulation par from there, but a really good par from Tony halved the hole. The next par 3 over a valley with the wind now blowing hard was a mess for all of us except Tony who hit a great shot to the middle of the green and took the hole (with par iirc).

J & C 1 up

With the Smith's full of confidence they promptly struck 3 balls out of bounds off the tee on the long par 5 8th. Dave's 2nd tee shot was safe enough but both John and I were safe. John advanced further down the right, I caught a sweet 3 wood and left myself a flop over the greenside bunker. Dave tried to smash one but went oob again and pretty much conceeded the hole.

J & C 2 up

Tony again managed to equal my gross par on 9 for a half. Hole 10 saw Dave's down the middle then regulation par eual Johns excellent scramble fromtwice behind trees. Dave was starting to play some good stuff now and whilst Tony was struggling a bit off the tee was showing some real putting ability.

Hole 11 is an awkward par 4 of 300 yards with a well protected green and narrow sloping fairway. John joked how the 18th looked an inviting route and then promptly took it (not sure if intentional or not - he'll say yes ). I played a Govan off the tee with a short iron in to the trees (never lay up - I'm an idiot!) Dave hit a perfect drive with a nice fade away from the water and took the hole with I think birdie (or par - not sure).

J & C 1 up

Hole 12, a short uphill par 3 was halved in regulation pars. 13 is a big down and up par 5. Tony's driver was misbehaving but Dave hit a nice one down the fairway. John's drive was safe enough down the right and knowing we needed this hole a smashed a 3 wood by everyone leaving 200 to the green. Dave and John advanced nicely and I then hit an awful duck hook topped chunker but amazingly got away with it to leave a flick on with lob wedge but only for a half after Dave's more sensible par. The next par 3 was playing short because of the helping wind, but only I found the green. My short game came to the fore again as I three putted from 15ft, but John and Tony recovered really well to halve in 3's. Hole 15 was the onl hole where everyone got a shot except me. This is an uphill 430yard par 4 with another table top green. I promptly topped my 3 wood 100 yards twice but then hit a nice long iron to the left fringe. We were all on or near the green after 3 or 4, I messed up again and Dave (iirc) made use of his only shot to take the hole.

All Square after 15

The 16th is pretty much the 15th in reverse with a blind second down the hill. Me and Tony smashed into the trees again, but again I got lucky and bounced out and Tony found his and chipped out. We all hit good looking shots down the hill but when we approached the green only one ball was on - and was close too. It was of course Dave's and he took the hole (was it birdie or par Dave? - I can't remember).

D & T 1 up

I had nothing left by now, four games in five days was catching up and Dave's amazing fight back over the last 9 holes had all but done me in. The smith's both found the green from the tee whilst me and John were long and short respectively after slappin' a couple off the tee. I was blocked out by the tree and hit it, John got snagged up in the rough leaving Tony to hole the winning putt with another par.

Dave & Tony win 2 & 1

It's worth pointing out that Dave after a struggling front 9 of fifty odd came home in a stunning 38 - just 3 over par. Even John's solid 18pts was not enough to maintain our lead (and I played poor over the last few holes). I think we all enjoyed the game, company and the course. Thanks for the game guys and good luck in your next match.

Last edit : Wed 29th Jun 2011 15:28
re: Matchplay Series write ups
user115085
Reply : Fri 24th Jun 2011 17:02

anyone else completed a match yet?

user103169
Reply : Fri 24th Jun 2011 20:24

Chris,

Excellent report, you must have been taking notes all the way round !!  Thanks again for the game, and I hope our paths cross again sometime soon

Tony

user338942
Reply : Fri 24th Jun 2011 21:08

Excellent write up Chris!! For the record it was a birdie on 11 and a par on 16.  The tantrum I threw on the 8th/9th & the teamtalk where Tony suggest I shot sub 40 seemed to pay off!!

Cracking course & company, would certainly have a day back there

user61256
Reply : Mon 27th Jun 2011 08:13

Great write up Chris, your quite right about Dave, a cracking back 9 by him and his dad stepped in to finish us of on the 17th.

Well done lads, great game and a great course.

user131252
Reply : Wed 29th Jun 2011 17:31

How do you find out who you are playing? I regiestered for this with my mate Steve and we have not had and email or anything to let us know?

user16106
Reply : Wed 29th Jun 2011 22:30

Your fixtures

NORTHWEST           MATCH1 1 Steawrt Whittaker & Anthony Joyce 3 Ged Keeley & Gary Spears   MATCH1 2 Jon Crickmore & Steve Campbell 4 Graham Mclean & Bill Donaghan   MATCH1 5 Mark Davies & Chris Salter 6 Paul Skinner & Tim Shone   MATCH1 8 Alan Gunningle & Peter Gridgmen 7 Keith Pick & Neil Evans   MATCH1 9 John Coady & Andry Wright 1 Steawrt Whittaker & Anthony Joyce * 2nd match MATCH2 3 Ged Keeley & Gary Spears 5 Mark Davies & Chris Salter   MATCH2 6 Paul Skinner & Tim Shone 2 Jon Crickmore & Steve Campbell   MATCH2 4 Graham Mclean & Bill Donaghan 8 Alan Gunningle & Peter Gridgmen   MATCH2 7 Keith Pick & Neil Evans 9 John Coady & Andry Wright   MATCH3 7 Keith Pick & Neil Evans 1 Steawrt Whittaker & Anthony Joyce   MATCH3 8 Alan Gunningle & Peter Gridgmen 2 Jon Crickmore & Steve Campbell   MATCH3 3 Ged Keeley & Gary Spears 4 Graham Mclean & Bill Donaghan   MATCH3 5 Mark Davies & Chris Salter 9 John Coady & Andry Wright   MATCH3 6 Paul Skinner & Tim Shone  

TBC ?

Dave CAC handed Geordie

Last edit : Wed 29th Jun 2011 23:42
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 23rd Aug 2011 14:13

Chris/Tony, could you let me know the holes won, lost, halved etc ?

Anyone else got any matches to report ?

http://www.golfshake.com/community/matchplay-league/2011/

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top