Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

PING’s new iPING putter app - Targets Improved Consistent Putting

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 21st Jun 2011 09:39 | Last Reply

This does look quite good, plus it's a free download

iPING™ putter app – a free, wireless, go-anywhere putting improvement tool that identifies a player’s stroke type, analyses their impact angle, and measures their tempo. After a series of putts, the iPING app records the golfer’s consistency in each area and establishes a Putting Handicap™ (PHcp&trade, which gets lower as the player improves their consistency, the key to holing more putts.   

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/2629/PINGs_new_iPING_putter_app_Consistent_Putting.html

re: PING’s new iPING putter app - Targets Improved Consistent Putting
user24437
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 10:24

Chocolate teapot

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 14:05

Admittedly it's not going to be 100% accurate but it will provide some level of gauge. The apps free and the caddy is a low price about the cost of most training aids.

I'll be testing next week so you can see for yourself.

user24437
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 17:20

My real problem with this is that you're hanging a 137g I-phone and the weight of the caddy on the top of your putter. The overall C of G of most putters* is about knee level just behind the shaft - adding weight near the grip seriously effects this and will upset the whole balance. In addition to this, the oblong shape means that for consistent results the device has to be exactly in the same place every time and not rotated around the shaft, impossible unless it's a permanent fixture. The only thing that mat be interesting is how well the human brain will compensate for these changes - pretty well I reckon. * Oh yes it is!

user61256
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 20:05

I prefer Fat Face Booth app thats much better, however, some people really don't need effects like that.

user289859
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 21:47

random fact: a mate of mine went to Ping for a fitting last Tuesday, and (according to the devlopers that were there) was the first person in Europe to utilise the application during his putter custom fit.  He since purchased a putter on the strength of the advice....He only received his order yesterday, so haven't seen him putt with it yet, but will see what it's like tomorrow!

oh, and they also said they were looking at developing an app to check your whole custom fit for irons etc...but how that will work is anyones guess!

Last edit : Tue 21st Jun 2011 21:49

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top