Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

lesson with launch monitor

Posted by: user321680 | Tue 14th Jun 2011 21:52 | Last Reply

Hello everyone

I'm considering booking a lesson with someone who uses a launch monitor (trackman) and wondering if it's worthwhile? The lesson is £50 for an hour lesson. Anyone ever been on one/had a lesson with one? Benefits/drawbacks?

This is the company/site i noticed it on. so if anybody from NI thats actually used them I would really welcome their views

http://golf-revolution.co.uk/packagesandpricing.php

Cheers
Jd

re: lesson with launch monitor
user321680
Reply : Thu 16th Jun 2011 13:26

sanderslongdrive & richard my reasoning about having the lesson with the aid of a launch monitor is not about changing equipment, a quick fix or measuring myself against the "perfect swing". It's about being add to the information i can get about my own swing.

99% of people will agree that slow motion filming of the swing had aided and supplemented the teaching process. so surely being able to put figures to these images would be a helpful?

i.e. first lesson golfer goes into lesson hitting huge slices.

Teacher without launch monitor/slo mo camera: i'd like you to concentrating on your transistion. first movement at the top of the swing should be with lower body

Teacher with slow motion camera: same advice as above but can show the student their plane, body movements etc and where he'd like him to get club head/body

Teacher with slow motion camera and launch monitor: same advice and info as above and your swing is approaching the ball at an angle of 40 degrees (or whatever) i'd like that to come to down to more like 30 degrees. your coming across the ball target line by 20 degrees we'd like to make that 0 degrees. At impact your clubface is 5 degrees open etc

Second lesson

Teacher without technology: your still coming across the ball try to get your right side through the shot better but your definitely improving

Teahcer with slow mo: same advice as above but can show golfer his improved plane and body movements etc can show student his improved positions.

Teacher with slow mo and launch monitor: same advice as above but with stats to back up improvement and give future goals.

You both seem to suggest that a launch monitor wouldnt replace the need for hard work. Of course it wouldnt and im under no illusion it would. But a pro can give advice and i can go away working on the advice but as most of us know what we thing we're doing in our swing and we're actually doing is normally two different things. I'm not particularly interested in spin rates, smash factors or even swing speeds for that matter but detailed information on swing plane, angle of attack and clubhead face at impact. 

My point and reasons for the original question is does the use of the launch monitor:

a) make the teaching process easier to understand/visualise the swing, your errors and where you can improve?

b) give you better goals/targets where you can quantify your improvements rather than simply on the advice of a instructor. who lets face wants you to come back for more lessons regardless so 9 times out of 10 will say your improving under his guidance.

c) is it good fun/interesting?

I'm an accountant by trade so perhaps my natural inclination to try to put a figure on everything. Anyway I'd just thought i'd clear that up.

jd

re: lesson with launch monitor
user321680
Reply : Thu 16th Jun 2011 14:42

last post typed on phone so grammar and spelling a little sloppy - apologies

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top