Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Laser Rangefinders

Posted by: user395231 | Mon 13th Jun 2011 09:30 | Last Reply

What does everyone think about laser rangefinders? I bought one at the beginning of the season (I always like to buy a new piece of equipment at the start of every season to make it feel like a fresh start) in the shape of a Nikon 350G and things have become much easier for me. 

I'm taking less time in working out my shots because it picks the flag up so quickly (meaning that there are less demons entering my head) and getting a more accurate yardage every time. It also makes you realise how inaccurate things like 150 yard posts can be. The one at the first at my club actually measures 138 to the middle! 

What does everyone else do?

re: Laser Rangefinders
user26537
Reply : Mon 13th Jun 2011 09:45

I was with a playing partner last week who had one, main issue is the lack of slope adjustment on some of them and the annoying problem of them picking up the trees behind the green instead.  This caused over clubbing on several occasions.

Personally I ignored what he said and picked my clubs based on my own assessment of the distance left.  Occasionally came up a little short but on the whole I was in a lot less trouble.

I have used several GPS DMDs and have found the simple 3 number versions (front, middle, back) very useful, however, I am still to be convinced that they offer me anything that could warrant £100+.

user26537
Reply : Mon 13th Jun 2011 12:01

He was using the Bushnell.

Hear what you say about trees, hazard etc; and if it works for you all power to your elbow.  Personally I fall in the :-

Clean my specs., throw some grass up in the air, miss the green, but feel comforted by the fact that - if required - I have access to a grief counselling service.   

camp. 

I find these things a distraction and find myself overthinking the shot. 

Together with the general confusion and lack of clarity about whether they (and which models) are allowed competion leave me feeling unconvinced.

Please don't get me wrong I am a complete gadget nut and range finders and the like would normally be at the top of my shopping list, but so far my experiences have not offered any proof that they can enhance my game. 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 13th Jul 2011 18:30

I have a SkyCaddie.

What I like about my SkyCaddie is the fact that is shows me a drawing of the hole before I start.

A couple of holes I play at my golf course have bunkers that you cannot see from the tee.  Without the SkyCaddie people who haven't played the course wouldn't know that they were there!

Russ

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 13th Jul 2011 18:30

I have a SkyCaddie.

What I like about my SkyCaddie is the fact that is shows me a drawing of the hole before I start.

A couple of holes I play at my golf course have bunkers that you cannot see from the tee.  Without the SkyCaddie people who haven't played the course wouldn't know that they were there!

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top