Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Swing help/advice wanted

Posted by: user321680 | Wed 8th Jun 2011 00:43 | Last Reply
<p>     &nbsp;</p>  <p>     Hello all first post here. I&#39;m just looking for any tips/thoughts on my swing. you can see it here:</p> <p>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeCjfg90vqI</p>;  <p>     My irons go straight or slight fade. occasional hook (1 in 20). the majority of my shots with woods/drivers will fade or slice. my wedges will draw bordering on a hook at times. . I know its not great quality (especially at impact) but i&#39;ve done my best to slow it down and you can see both down the line and front on views in this clip.</p>   <p>     I dont mind hitting slight fades (obviously not so keen on the slices) but just would like to see the occasional shot turn over as a draw. My driver/woods are my biggest problem with getting a decent position on the fairway a real struggle. As I said thoughts or comments welcome.</p>    <p>     Thanks</p>  <p>     JD</p>  <p>     &nbsp;</p>
re: Swing help/advice wanted
user99350
Reply : Wed 8th Jun 2011 08:47

. Your short game must be apalling to be that handicap.I agree with Ivan  I really can't see anything untoward though I would suggest you try slow your swing down as it's the first time I've noticed a shaft bending on the backswing and if, as Ivan intimates, your shafts are ultra soft then a fast swing is the last thing you need.

user321680
Reply : Wed 8th Jun 2011 10:43

Thanks sanderslongdrive and patrick for your replies.

I recently had a couple of lessons and I've completely overhauled my swing. I posted to get some feedback to see if I was progressing and/or the right track. This probably explains the high handicap and I'll hopefully knock a few off it this year.

My short game isn't great though but I'm working hard on it too - especially my shots from inside 100 yards.

I'll look into my shaft flex's I thought the bend in them looked excessive myself. I think your right though patrick I think half my problem is speed/tempo. I think with my woods/driver I get too fast coming down which throws me into an out to in swing so I'm working on slower transistion and speed in general.

The positions in my swing I worry about most or that I think could be better are:

• the top of my backswing (club appears to low behind my head)
  • the top of my backswing (overswinging and losing connection as you said)
  • impact where my upper body appears to lean back away from my target.

Thanks

JD

user321680
Reply : Wed 8th Jun 2011 14:12

sanderslongdrive

Thanks again some very good stuff in your last post. When i took my lessons the instructor told me to shorten my backswing because I was over swinging and losing my coil and tension in my back but as you said my backswing length, as it is, definitely feels more comfortable and natural the way it is.

As for leaning back at impact. I understand leaning forward would be a negative but am i unsure whether or not I should try to get a more level or neutral lean at impact instead of what resembles a reverse C position at impact. Any thoughts?

I have a question regarding what you say about the transition. my understanding was that it was the left hip that iniatates the action not the right. if i start my transition with the right hip would that not make coming over the top a more likely scenario. also if i start with my right hip would it not be more difficult to get the right elbow/arm in front of the body at the delivery position and through to impact. The right elbow and arm in front of the body ,as shown in jim mcleans 8 step swing dvd (http://jim-intl.istorm.ca/swing-step5.html), is my one swing thought I have when swinging at the moment. 

Thanks

JD

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top