Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Internal club comps

Posted by: user259181 | Mon 6th Jun 2011 16:18 | Last Reply

I'm not sure if it is the same at other clubs, but I would be interested to find out.....

For our mid week and weekend medals,stablefords,trophies and what not we have a charge of atleast  £5 with £3 going to the committee and £2 to the prize pot.

Now I must admit that when I started playing and joined a club, I naively thought that after paying the membership that normal club comps would be free ( barring a few special ones ).....I also never expected there to be prize funds.

After now playing for 18 months or so and starting to really get involved in the comps I've started to think that it would be nice if ordinary medals and stablefords were just comps with no money attached.....I estimate that this year I will spend over £350 on comp fees, I would take just as much joy from just placing well with no money included.

This year they also added an additional £25 a year to the membership rather than adding £1 to the comp fee....this money is also directly for the committee.

Is this a similar situation with other clubs?

re: Internal club comps
user355541
Reply : Mon 6th Jun 2011 17:32

It rather depends on the type of club. We are an affiliated club operating within a proprietary golf course. The committee's only source of income is a proportion of competition fees - around 25% of £2.50 midweek and £3 weekends. Your committee minutes and accounts will show you how your committee spends this money - you may be surprised how much the committee costs to run.

The golf course management would not allow us to add £25 to the membership fees for the use of the committee. This means that members who do not play in competitions do not contribute anything to the running costs of the committee - a sore point.

Since I play in a lot of competitions (far too many). it costs me around £400 a year plus another £100 for the optional 2s pots.

I do think most people prefer to have something tangible to play for rather than a "well done".

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 7th Jun 2011 14:52

Taking £3 out of the £5 does seem rather steep to me.

Our club comps are £3 with some of the major ones being £5.

The committee take so much out of this money and the rest goes on prizes/medals.

Russ

user289859
Reply : Tue 7th Jun 2011 22:11

same here really.  Found this out the other day whilst talking about something else.

Our comps are typically £4 entry per person. Which will be £2 entry, £1 Sweep and £1 for 2's.  Half of these costs are then put towards the cost for a Course Marshall who basically drives around in a buggy all day ensuring pace of play (which us players obviously can't do ourselves).  He is often spotted at the bacon roll hut eating merrily as well...

user125585
Reply : Wed 8th Jun 2011 00:38

Just to clarify Russ' post, as we are at the same club.

All our comps are £3 per player the one exception being the International Pairs where the entry fee and the likely number of entrants demands a £5 pp entry fee, as this is an external compe we run for the members.

From the entry fees 15% is deducted for the comittee which over the year covers exspenses such as county golf union membership, entry fees for the 4 club teams into the county comps. Captains allowance to cover basic costs. An amount set aside for juniors and other incidental exspense such as the running of a members website. All accounts are publiched annually at the AGM and on the website, and any member can turn up at the AGM and raise questions, out of nearly 800+ members the last AGM attracted 2 who were not members of the committee or standing for election. This was on a Saturday at 3pm.

Additionally to the 15% deduction for committee there is a £30 deduction that covers either medals or engraving costs for the trophies. (medal or club major/trophy event).

So with an average field of 40 for medal and usual field 65 for major then the commitee takes £20 -£30 per comp to cover exspenses. This has proven to be a fiar amount for a "competition" committee where the club is owned by an external organisation and not the members.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top