Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

9 Hole Loops

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 1st Jun 2011 18:05 | Last Reply

I played Warley Park GC for the first time yesterday.

When we arrived at the golf club we found out that they had three loops of nine holes.

These were called 'Course 1', 'Course 2' and 'Course 3', rather original don't you think?  How hard would it be to give them real names?

The pro in the shop was very friendly despite the shop being busy.  He told us that the club competitions used course 1 and course 3.  As the course was busy and we were playing all three loops he advised us to play course 2 first.

What I cannot understand is why any golf club that has three nine hole loops doesn't make a full 18 hole course, and the have the extra nine holes as a warm-up/extra loop.

The scorecards don't have the stroke index on them, just one to nine for each loop.

The course was good, with some lovely views out over the Thames and the greens were very good.

Such a shame for me that this three loops thing spoiled the game for me a little bit.

re: 9 Hole Loops
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 1st Jun 2011 21:34

Here in Leeds we have a 27hole course, Moor Allerton. The holes are numbered 1 - 27 and the loops are known locally as 'Bottom', 'Middle' and 'Top' 9's. The Scorecard does have a different SI to most courses, each 9 is numbered 1-9 and you take any odd shots on your first 9. So if you receive 5 shots, you get 3 on your 1st 9 at SI 1, 2, 3 and 2 on your 2nd 9 at SI 1 & 2. It does get some getting used to but the Club have given Course names to each set of 18.

TheLyth

user125585
Reply : Wed 1st Jun 2011 22:47

Russ

Shame on you, as some one who represents the club you should know to read the scorecard carefully. The Warley Card cleary states how you should use the 1-9 SI's if you are an odd numbered handicapper.

If you were to have turned up there and they said they had an 18 hole course and another 9 holes over the road, would that have been so odd? It is one of the things I dislike about our main course (Stableford Abbotts, Abbotts course) in that the 9th is as far away as possible from the club house. As you know people try and make a loop of 6 (1,2,3,16,17,18) or 9 (add in 4,5,6) on our couse anyway.

We use Warley Park for our society inter team comp (6-8 teams of 12) see details here:

http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/8236/Matchplay_Society_vs_Society.html

We use course 2 (10-18) and Course 3 (19-27) for the 9 hole pairs in the morning then go off of both the 1st and 19th and play Course 1 & Course 3 in the afternoon.

I think it works quite well in that layout. I quite like the course @ Warley and usually score well there (except the bloody 8th, that green needs flattening!) my favorite hole the 24th SI 1 on the last loop, and amazing Par 4 where you really need to lay up for the second shot. Last year in the tema Challenge I played 7 wood, 7 Wood to 10 feet (made par) and won the Nearest the pin in 2 trophy! but it is a great hole and can imagine it will ruin many a medal round.

user250721
Reply : Wed 1st Jun 2011 23:17

I play often at a local course to me called Heydon Grange, again 3 loops of 9 Essex, Cambs and Herts.

Each 3 have something different to offer and each time I go I would only play 18 holes and pick each time depending on the mood.

Each combination make for a nice round.

I dont personally see it as any different. The only difference to Russ' experience is that each combination had a seperate SI.

user331868
Reply : Thu 2nd Jun 2011 17:22

Russ

how was your putting, i haven't played Warley for a few years but its got some of the quickest and undulating greens Ive played, very easy to 3 putt if your off your game.

As for the 3 loops of nine i quite like it as it gives a course some variety, and when a course is busy they can still get you off without too much waiting as you have a choice of which 9 to start from, South Essex G.C. and Langdon Hills also have 3 loops of 9 and they are good golf courses.

user298481
Reply : Thu 23rd Jun 2011 17:28

I play at Wildwood which also has 27 holes and these were called A, B and C rather imaginitively, they now have names but most people still refer to the letters!

I do think it gives the members a bit of variety for comps and whichever combo of 18 you play always has the stroke indexes worked out very carefully.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 23rd Jun 2011 17:59

The greens were very good at Warley Park GC and quite fast.  I putted well that day so I'm  happy.

What I cannot understand is why not have a main 18 hole course with the extra nine hole loop.

They can still do the scorecards for each different set of loops.

All the club competitions are played from the same combination at this golf club.  So if you play all your competitions from the same combinations then just make it you 18 holes!

Russ

user52922
Reply : Thu 23rd Jun 2011 18:02

Stuart, I am surprised that you did not like Princes as it has been an Open venue in the past. Although there are three loops of nine the main championship course is the "Shore" followed by the "Dunes"

The other loop being the himalayas is just that, another nine holes.

IanH, I used to be a member at the Wildwood when it first opened as an 18 hole course. I stopped playing there when they made the other loop when after playing the first nine one day I could see many players waiting on my 10th tee, who were waiting to play the hole as their first.

user298481
Reply : Thu 23rd Jun 2011 20:53

John,

that can still happen, but they have got pretty savvy these days about the timings of tee offs

user52922
Reply : Thu 23rd Jun 2011 22:49

I am sure they have Ian, but that probably means times geared to a two hour nine holes, so that clashes are avoided. Unfortunately I like to play a lot faster than that.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top