Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Balls ??

Posted by: user26537 | Mon 23rd May 2011 10:27 | Last Reply

I have been using the AD333s for some time now and have been generally happy.  However, at the weekend I found myself playing a lot of short (within 50 yards) chips, pitches etc and struggled to get the ball to stop. 

Solution ? a softer ball ?

So spent an evening generally surfing and came to either:-

Srixon Z Star XV

or

Wilson DX3

I appreciate that the obvious omission is the Pro V1, but I have tried them and never really got on with them.

Any other suggestions ?

re: Balls ??
user24437
Reply : Mon 23rd May 2011 11:43

Personally I use a mixture of AD333's and TriSpeeds, both excellent, good value for money balls , although the latter seem to be quite difficult to get hold of sometimes.

However, have you thought that it may not be the ball?  I played Friday and the greens were very firm and nobody short of a pro could have stopped anything on them whatever ball they were using - so it was a matter of playing the course and not blindly wondering why your normal high pitch doesn't stop.

user289859
Reply : Mon 23rd May 2011 12:09

I recently had a similar issue, and the best ball I have found, at half the price of the Pro V1, is the Wilson Staff FG Tour.  Really cracking ball which acts just like a Pro V, but lasts longer, and can be found for £22 a dozen on ebay. 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wilson-Staff-2010-FG-Tour-Golf-Balls-Dozen-FREE-POST-/390165450909?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfBa
lls&hash=item5ad7ac509d

Thats the company I get mine from, and it is typically next day delivery as well (although stated otherwise!)

user298481
Reply : Mon 23rd May 2011 17:40

the Nike Vapor Speed spins pretty well for me but the ground is so rock hard at the mo that its hard to tell.

user355541
Reply : Mon 23rd May 2011 18:24

Consider the Callaway HX Hot Bite. Have been using them for 2 years and have no plan to change.

user26537
Reply : Tue 24th May 2011 12:15

Thanks for the comments.

I have tried the Srixon Tri Speed and the Soft Feel and tobe honest I was not impressed. 

I mention the Z Stars because a few years ago I tried the Z URS which I found very good but rather pricey (especially as I was losing a lot in those days).

The TMs are not a bad shout, I had forgotten them, used some of those last year and whilst impressed around the green the spin off the driver accentuated my swing flaws.

Need to take a trip to the pro shop and buy a few sleeves of different balls methinks.

user127343
Reply : Tue 24th May 2011 20:24

I would recommend the Titleist NXT Tour ball. I have 2 dozen I got as a present and have been using them since Christmas. I find them a good all rounder with good distance and feel around the greens,

regards,

Michael.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top