Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Divots...do you take them?

Posted by: user289859 | Thu 12th May 2011 14:11 | Last Reply

As the title really.  I was chatting with a friend who said that you can't really be a "proper" player unless you take a divot after the ball.  I don't often take a divot, but still get good connections, distance etc, but is it something I should practice more on doing?  I have spent a bit of time on the mechanics of taking a divot, but don't know whether I should concentrate on trying to take more, or just leave my game as it is and try to progress.

The course I am a member of can be realy hard in the summer, as there is no fairway watering, so in the periods of hot weather, it dries it out...a lot, which won't help, but still, should I try?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the matter...

re: Divots...do you take them?
user52922
Reply : Thu 12th May 2011 19:44

Taking a divot is the way the better players play this game and because of it they generate far more power than those who take it cleanly as there is no resistance created by taking it cleanly. The resistance is like hitting a football on the half volley, a much more positive and powerful strike.

The added bonus of course, is that the divovt method will help to produce the backspin required to control the shot the way it was intended.

Of course the depth of divot is vital, a shallow divot is all that is required, especially when playing the shorter irons into the pin.

Last edit : Thu 12th May 2011 22:52
user115085
Reply : Thu 12th May 2011 21:56

hit the small ball first. Certain shots when executed well will leave a divot, but focussing on taking the divot will likely lead to hitting the big ball first (not good!)

user125585
Reply : Thu 12th May 2011 22:41

I prefer to replace mine rather than take them!

Can't magine what I would do with all those bits of turf, and they would rarely be viable by the time I got them home winkhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif" title="wink" width="20" />

More seriously I tend to be more of a sweeper or grass trimme, get under the ball but do not ever take anything off the fairway (when there!) enough to ever replace unless its a miss hit.

user289859
Reply : Fri 13th May 2011 08:15

cheers guys.  I am just going to concentrate on my game and getting finishing in as few strokes as possible.

Muchly appreciated!

user338942
Reply : Fri 13th May 2011 20:40

Chris' comment is the most important one. Little ball before big ball.

I take divots, not intentionaly, just the way my swing is. If playing with some higher handicappers, it can puzzle them how I can rip a 9 inch piece of turf out the ground and strike the ball cleanly.

As long as the steel strikes the back of the golf ball it doesn't matter

user115181
Reply : Tue 17th May 2011 16:20

Tom Watson, Greg Norman and Raymond Floyd, amongst others, rarely took a divot. And I'd always thought they were pretty good players until now; what a fool I've been.

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th May 2011 16:37

Well, Pete if you manage to get round Berkhamstead on those tigtt fairways without taking a divot, then you have my admiration..

The three players you mentioned have taken divots, as I have seen them do so.

user320447
Reply : Wed 18th May 2011 11:07

The "Big Ball" is the Earth. I guess they just mean to hit the golf ball before the ground, not the other way around!

user115181
Reply : Thu 19th May 2011 11:20

Hi John

I didn't say I don't take a divot. Sadly there isn't too much in common between my game and Tom Watson's!!

Watson, Floyd etc were renowned for sweeping the ball off the turf, barely bruising the grass, though I'm sure you are correct that they sometimes took a shallow divot. My point is that there are a variety of ways of getting the job done in golf and that whilst some very good players always take a big divot, especially with their short irons, others do not and that changing one's swing purely to take a divot (rather than to hit the ball further or straighter or with more control) is a patently daft idea.

Personally I would think the most likely efffect of a 25 handicapper consciously trying to take a divot  would be the development of a steep, over-the-top swing which will see him slicing it into the next postcode in no time.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top