Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Wrong handicap calculation

Posted by: user117032 | Thu 5th May 2011 06:58 | Last Reply

HiJust had a great round and expected a cut in handicap but it stayed the same. After looking at the scorecard, I noticed that it may be affected by two big scores....an eight on a par 3 and a nine on a par 5. I then edited the score to be two over each hole which I thought golfshake automatically did I.e 5 on the par 3 and 7 on par 5. Used the tools option to recalculate my handicap and my handicap then dropped by the expected amount. Is this a flaw in the website or am I missing something with regards to the handicap calculation.ThanksJohn

re: Wrong handicap calculation
user106712
Reply : Thu 5th May 2011 09:15

Hi. I don't think your maximum score is 2 over par. It should be NET 2 over par. ie:- on a par 4 where you get 1 shot your maximum would be 7 as that would give you a net 2 over par 6. do you see ?

And that 9 on a par 5 could be right if you get 2 shots on that hole. that would give you a net 7 which is 2 over par.

Last edit : Thu 5th May 2011 09:20
user52922
Reply : Thu 5th May 2011 09:20

John, it is 2 over par NETT, because off your handicap a 5 on a par three would still give you a point in stableford, so you must put down a six for that hole. The same ruling would apply at the par five.

user382328
Reply : Thu 5th May 2011 10:23

If I understand the system correctly, when you score 8 at a par 3, and with your handicap you probably get one shot at that hole, a NETT double bogey is a 6 (3par + 1shot + 2doublelimit). So your score is adjusted down to a 6 not down to a 5.

If you get two shots at that hole a NETT double bogey would be a 7 (3par + 2 shots + 2doublelimit). So your score is adjusted down to a 7 not down to a 5.

I've noticed that to adjust any scores you would have to have a pretty disastrous hole - in many rounds you will not see any adjustment at all. For me, even if I get a 9 on a tricky par 5, there is no adjustment.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edit : Thu 5th May 2011 10:54
user117032
Reply : Thu 5th May 2011 17:44

Hi,

Thanks for the replies but every website that I look at quotes that it is calculated on gross score, not net score.

CONGU allows double bogey (+2) maximum, on any hole. Therefore, if a player takes 8 shots (gross score) on a par 5, the maximum score allowed for that hole is 7 (adjusted Gross Score)

Does anyone have any link for official websites that give the exact "correct" calculation. 

Reason I would like to know is I am organising a golf tournament and may need to cut people and would like to know the exact rules for calculating the handicap.

Cheers

John

user117032
Reply : Thu 5th May 2011 18:04

Looks like I have found another link that talks about net score.

http://www.golfinghandicaps.com/golf_handicap.php

I can see the logic of using net score... seems unfair to penalise a player who could theoritically score a net bogey but not have that counted in the allowance of their handicap.. e.g player scores a 6 on a par 3 that has an SI of 1 when playing with a handicap that is greater than 19.

Would be good to see any official documentation that people may have.

Cheers

John

user355541
Reply : Thu 5th May 2011 18:13

The CONGU system applies a Stableford/Nett Double Bogey adjustment on strokeplay rounds. For handicap purposes, an extremely bad score on a hole is reduced to 1 more than a score which would have attracted one stableford point. You can purchase a CONGU Unified Handicapping System handbook from the English Golf Union website - englishgolfunion.org.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 5th May 2011 18:43

James as provided the easiest explanation being adjusts to 1 shot above what you could have scored 1 stable ford point on. Golfshake follows a similar principle and as done so for the last 6 years, technically 4 but 6 for golfscoretracker

user117032
Reply : Thu 5th May 2011 20:25

ThaNks to all of you for your replies. I now fully understand the system and can now with confidence explain it.CheersJohn

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top