Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

majors in america

Posted by: user133274 | Tue 3rd May 2011 21:23 | Last Reply

hi guys.

Why are 3 out of the 4 majors held in the usa? The masters and the us open obviously have to be held there and i have no problem with that. I just dont see why the pga championship should be held there aswell. There must be hundreds of courses around the world more than capable of hosting a major, valderama, sun city and wentworth are just a few worth mentioning. Its no wonder theres been more american major winners than any other nation. if there was 3 held in britain every year im sure we would have more major winners. Golf loving nations such as australia south africa and most of asia deserve to have  big tournaments in there backyards. it can only be a good thing to promote the game more in other parts of the world. If we can have a football world cup in qatar surely the pga and r and a can take a major to somewhere outside of britain and the usa. rant over what are your thoughts on this?

re: majors in america
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 3rd May 2011 22:59

To take any Major from the USA you would need to change which tournaments got the 'Major' title.

The United States Open (run by the USGA)

The Masters (run by Augusta National)

The PGA Championship (run by the Professional Golfers Association of  America)

Do you think that if say The South African Open gave bigger prize money than any other event, started getting the biggest crowds watching it and then got the worlds best players taking part, it would become a Major?

TheLyth

user331868
Reply : Wed 4th May 2011 10:20

I dont think the USA need to loose a major, but why not introduce a 5th major in Europe,and have it held in a different country each year, and as Africa, Asia, and the Middle East have now joined the European tour you could even hold it in them countries as well as Europe, it would give golf a massive boost globally. [ somehow i dont think the Americans would like it though, as there already moaning about Westwood being no-1 golfer, they think if you play golf outside of the USA it dont count.]

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th May 2011 10:35

They tried to take World Golf Championships to all corners of the world and after a while they also settled in America. Something to do with sponsorship and TV coverage?

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top