Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Overactive hips.......I think.

Posted by: user40826 | Wed 27th Apr 2011 17:43 | Last Reply

I'm going to try and explain without a video.  Been struggling with my swing recently.  I've had a bunch of lessons to get me back on track with my game - and it has worked a treat, can't recommened lessons enough.

One remaining problem (and I have ran out of lessons, and money).  Now it only seems to be an issue with my longer irons and my woods.  On the downswing I keep leaving my club behind because I'm turning my hips towards the target too soon.  This is resulting in an open club face when returning to the ball.  I am perfectly square at the top but can't stop myself from turning first on my downswing and leaving my hands to catch up.

Hope that's clear, if not I'll film my swing tomorrow and let you all take a peak.

Any drills I can do to help here?

re: Overactive hips.......I think.
user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 27th Apr 2011 18:11

not sure of any drills but have you actively tried stopping it? slowing the swing down would help with that!

user40826
Reply : Wed 27th Apr 2011 19:06

One thing I did think about but not tried yet is to improve my rhythm and tempo.  I need to get to the range tomorrow before I play to try that out.  It does seem to be worse when I 'go for' a shot.

user40826
Reply : Wed 27th Apr 2011 22:36

Sanders, this is why I love this website.  I can always rely on this site for excellent advice.  I think this will be something I will be printing off and taking to the range in the morning.

The weight idea seems so simple but it may be the key for me, a wider stance.  Let's give it a go and I'll see how I get on.

It just seems strange it never effects my shorter irons.  Although I do seem to have a better tempo with my irons than my woods.

Nice analogy about the bike and the cogs!

user40826
Reply : Thu 28th Apr 2011 19:58

Well back from the course after shooting and 86.  It would have been better if only I could drive the ball straight!

Went to the range before hand, ball more central, weight on my right foot, head behind the ball.  Some success!  Get on the course and set up the same - and bang here comes the fade.  I must be losing 50-70 yards through this. 

It does amaze me still how my mates were hitting the ball straight and long (sometimes nearly 80 yards further yet I still finished in 2nd today, thanks to my irons and short game.  If I could just sort my driving out I would back to shooting in the mid to high 70's again.

Slow it down - man I'm struggling with this.  I have not got a problem with rhythm and tempo with my irons.

I think I need to get to the range and just hit my driver over and over again - never thought I'd have to do that!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top