Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Matchplay - Society vs Society

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 4th Apr 2011 14:04 | Last Reply

I've no idea of the format or plans yet but given the Matchplay series we are about to finalise what is the interest in something similar targeted at societies or groups of golfers ?

Could be a straight knockout, or 2 match league with knockout final 8 or just an ongoing league.

Give societies are already busy and the logistics in getting say 8 players per team available it's not forced to run over 2011 but could be an ongoing competition.

Let me know any thoughts to find the ultimate best of the best Golfshake society/group

Last edit : Fri 8th Apr 2011 11:29
re: Matchplay - Society vs Society
user327086
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 15:33

Darren

Sound a great idea - keep me informed

Stuart

www.ubigolfsociety.co.uk

user24437
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 16:22

Sounds like a good idea Darren, shall I just come round and pick the trophy up on behalf of the CGL?

user131525
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 16:36

July 23rd - CGL vs Halewood - that should sort it!

user367688
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 16:46

Darren

This sounds like a great idea, something our society would be very interested in entering, whether it be pairs or  8 versus 8.

I would also like to add what a great site this is, I entered our first event details last week & was very impressed with the reporting system that was generated

Our society has been running for many years now, but this has definitely took it to new levels.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Mark ( on behaltf of The Brewery Golf Society)

user103169
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 21:33

I think the guys  (and lady) of the TGA would be well  up for that sort of competition.

user125585
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 22:28

I am sure that I could get together a team from my society, we already do a challenge day once a year which is the society (2 teams) vs upto 6 other teams (I actually captain one of the opposition teams) in groups of 12, so getting 8 or even 12 together should not be that diffcult, assuming it would be weekends rather than midweek (though we normally play Fridays it already eats a good portion of annual leave for all the days).

Keep me informed and I will speak with our "Chairman"

Last edit : Mon 4th Apr 2011 22:28
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th Apr 2011 11:29

Any more ?

user77309
Reply : Fri 8th Apr 2011 12:35

hi

I would be interested in having a society matchplay event as I can get a group of golfers together to take part in this. Will they be played over a day or 2 days and will they be regional or across country.

James Holden 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th Apr 2011 12:41

Simple to start so initial thinking is

• Society teams - players per team 8 - 16
  • Either single or pairs format
  • 1 off event for society vs society
  • Poss knockout format so if you win move on to the next round
  • Given logistic etc will more than likely span over 18 months rather than just 2011

Some form of grand final or final four which will be other a 2 day format with pairs and singles

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th Apr 2011 12:44

Nick see my reply which may have cross over.  Initial idea for the first matches is keep in simple and make get the course allocation easier enough.

As teams progress than that type of format would be adopted for the last stages or final.

user24437
Reply : Fri 8th Apr 2011 15:35

Where's the nearest airport in the Czech Rep for you Andy?  Just wondering..... 

user24437
Reply : Fri 8th Apr 2011 16:49

Flying to Prague for a game of golf has got a sort of appeal, was just looking at flights...

user236471
Reply : Sat 9th Apr 2011 02:47

Some interest from the society I'm in depending on possible travelling distances. As we're based in Edinburgh it could be a bit of a trek for all you guys to come up here ;-)

user9509
Reply : Thu 14th Apr 2011 19:24

Would it be sensible to have regional matches to reduce travelling etc. with a final four (North, South, East, West winners) meeting centrally (Belfry?) to decide the overall champions?  We would be interested in playing in it.  

user38216
Reply : Thu 14th Apr 2011 20:10

I have a feeling this will never get going!!!!

user65768
Reply : Sat 16th Apr 2011 08:35

Darren,

My Society would be keen to organise a Society vs Society event. No doubt via TeeOff Times!!

We usually get at least 24 out, and are always looking for new courses to play, but preferably within a 1 hour radius of Woking.

We usually keep costs to about £30.

Any good?

Best regards, and great to meet you the other week

Stephen

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 18th Apr 2011 22:19

David, hopefully not.  Once we have around 12 societies it will be left to them to arrange and begin the search for best society.

Regard,s Darren.

user65768
Reply : Fri 22nd Apr 2011 07:11

Gents,

Am I too late for this forum? I help run Snowdrop Golf Society. We usually get 24/30 out, and have just started booking our monthly events on TeeOffTimes.

If anyone fancies an Inter Society competition, if you can get 24 out, we are based in Woking........

It would all be booked on TeeOffTimes of course and posted on Golfshake.

Send me a personal message on this website if it is of interest.

Best regards,

Stephen Danks

user207860
Reply : Sun 1st May 2011 22:43

Darren

Would be interested in hooking up with a Society that gets entered into these events.

Sounds like a fun idea.

Gary

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 5th May 2011 16:33

Looks like we are getting some teams interested.

Like mentioned above this would be to find the champion of champions. Simple knock out format with no time frame potentially spanning into 2012

Regards, Darren.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 11th May 2011 10:51

Looks like 10+ societies so I will create an official page so these can start to be set-up

user125585
Reply : Thu 12th May 2011 22:59

As mentioned earlier our society runs a challenge day every year (this year will be the 15th event)

We currently have 6 teams confirmed with 1 team still to confirm which will leave 1-2 team places open. If any societies here are interested send me a private message. Maybe someone wants to try and get a Golf Shake team together!

Team of 12 - Friday 2nd Sept 2011 - Warley Park Golf Club nr Brentwood Essex (M25 J29)

Cost pp £62.50

Schedule:

Coffee Bacon Rolls

morning American Greensomes Pairs - 9 holes

Lunch

Afternoon 18 holes individual Stapleford (overall, and team event against others in your 4 ball)

Dinner

Prize Giving

Team to be comprised as follows:

1 20-28 handicap

2 any Level

3 16-24 handicap

4 lowest in team

5 any level handicap except 28

6 22-28 handicap

7 any level handicap except 28

8 14-24 handicap

9 any level handicap

10 23-28 handicap

11 any level handicap except 28

12 24 to 28 handicap

Entries by 10th June, contact me via clicking on my name and sending me a message for full details

All new players are penalised 2 shots from their handicap (Club, Golfshake or Society) for first event only, but we have several events before the day first of which is Gosfield Lake on 10th June advertised here: http://www.golfshake.com/golf/view/6120/ similar format to the team event except no team component and individuals can join in.

Last edit : Thu 12th May 2011 23:06
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th May 2011 17:03

Hi all, can you let me know if you can all get a team of 8 and also the following to update this page

• Society name
  • Region
  • Min team size
  • Max team size

I will now have a quick push to see if we can get to 32 teams and then this first knock out cup can begin

http://www.golfshake.com/community/society-matchplay-knockout/

user125585
Reply : Tue 17th May 2011 02:19

Darren Team Name: MUGS, Location Essex / South East.

Could probably stretch to 16 at a push, but if you are looking at maximizing the number of societies then 8 per team seems the most viable number.

I guess this could also depend on the format:

Pairs Better ball (4x2) total score,

8 individuals (matchplay or total stableford store)

Matchplay (2 x singles, lowest 2 handicaps, 3 times pairs better ball) - match for 5 points

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 17th May 2011 11:13

Graham, simple so 8 - 12 seems a good shout.  Plus easyish to get 2 or 3 tee times

user271940
Reply : Tue 17th May 2011 15:33

Hi Tim

Halewood/NWgolf are the champs, CGL are the chumps!!

See you at the next match between us both.

Cheers

John

user125585
Reply : Tue 17th May 2011 22:50

@Darren

Plus easyish to get 2 or 3 tee times - surely 4-6 ???

user207860
Reply : Tue 17th May 2011 23:28

Darren

Grahams event on 2 Sept. look great fun.  If you are running a south-east team I would gladly volunteer!

My work society may be interested as well, we have an outing on Friday and can raise then.

So if my society isn't interested can I join yours?

Cheers

G

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th May 2011 20:53

Graham, correct, I obviously can't add up

Gary, which event on the 2nd ?

user207860
Reply : Thu 19th May 2011 21:21

Grahams Society Event on Friday 2nd Sept 2011 - Warley Park Golf Club nr Brentwood Essex (M25 J29) see above.

user131525
Reply : Thu 28th Jul 2011 16:59

County Golf League took on the North West Golf Society last Saturday, report here: http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/2796/Golfshake_Societies_Match_CGL_v_NWGS.html

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top