Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Recommend A Course Near Reading

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 1st Apr 2011 08:27 | Last Reply

My golfing partner and I are looking for a golf course to play near Reading.

We are both playing in the GTour event at Wokefield Park on Saturday 16th April, and was hoping to get a practice round in on the Friday.  But the course is fully booked for a company golf day.

So we are looking for a good course to play on the Friday.

My golfing partner has played Old Thorns Golf Club and is willing to play there and then travel up to Reading in the evening.

But does anybody recommend any courses that are nearer to Reading, say within a thirty minute drive?

Russ

re: Recommend A Course Near Reading
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st Apr 2011 08:52

Donnington Grove not a bad course and always in good nic with some nice greens.  I would possibly say not to dissimilar to Wokefield in terms of length, set-up and greens. 

Plus rated 4.23/5 from 22 reviews here on Golfshake

user52922
Reply : Fri 1st Apr 2011 09:27

I have sent you a PM, Russ, as my course is ideal for you and a much sterner test than Wokefield, not forgetting that I have a special rate for guests of £15.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st Apr 2011 14:20

Thanks guys.

I'll be checking these courses out before deciding which one will have the honour of us visiting!  

Russ

Reply : Fri 1st Apr 2011 21:31

All sorted for a round of golf.

Will be joining John at his course and looking forward to having a round of golf with him again, always a pleasure to walk around a golf course with him.

Russ

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st Apr 2011 22:14

I know it's too late, but Donnington Valley is only 5 minutes from Donnington Grove and a much better golf course in my humble opinion.  A test of golf rather than distance with some cracking holes

user52922
Reply : Fri 1st Apr 2011 23:02

I cannot beleive that you have written that, Chris, Valley is not in the same league as Grove.

user52922
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 18:45

found it, Darren lurking in another part of the site.

user52922
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 18:48

Russ, I have booked a tee time for 1430hrs as requested on Friday 15th. I am still waiting to hear from Mr Marshall whether or not he is going to join us, failing that then I am sure I have someone prepared to make the fourball up.

Just to give you an idea what you are going to face, I will bet you a £1 that you cannot beat 36 putts. My best so far is 37.

Reply : Tue 5th Apr 2011 08:28

Thanks for that John, really looking forward to playing a round of golf with you.

Having read the reviews for the course it looks like we are in for a treat.

Seeing as I think putting is the best part of my game I'll have to take you up on your £1 bet.

If I beat 36 putts you give me a pound, if I don't I'll give you a pound (do you take instalments?)

See you there.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Wed 6th Apr 2011 19:55

Played today, and the greens are running nice and true and fast, managed to get round in 34 putts today.

user77012
Reply : Wed 6th Apr 2011 20:19

You must be hit'em in closer now then John winkhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif" title="wink" width="20" />

Reply : Thu 7th Apr 2011 06:59

I'm not scared of the greens, my playing partner might be though!!!!     

Russ

user128240
Reply : Sun 10th Apr 2011 11:34

Russ if you want a really great course to play and I mean great (it was one of the best courses I have played in the UK) check it out Bearwood Lakes, a bit pricey but hey what the heck you only live once.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top