Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Whos member of a club ?

Posted by: user370436 | Mon 28th Mar 2011 21:49 | Last Reply

How much do you pay ? Do you think its worth it ?

Would you rather not play diffrernt courses ?

Discuss

re: Whos member of a club ?
user99350
Reply : Tue 29th Mar 2011 13:04

Obviously a designer club. If you plan on playing only once in winter I wouldn't consider a full membership.

user69191
Reply : Wed 30th Mar 2011 11:39

I paid £250 last year for 7 day membership because of the course being taken over, this was a half price offer open everybody. This year I paid £499. I continually play many other courses across the UK too because of the cheap membership of my home course. Just because you join a club doesn't mean you're confined to only playing it. If I paid £1200-£1500 per year then it would be a different matter, I couldn't afford it. My advice would be to join somewhere that doesn't charge ridiculous prices, sort your game out there, and play other courses.

user99350
Reply : Wed 30th Mar 2011 14:30

Can't argue with that.

user115181
Reply : Wed 30th Mar 2011 14:38

Well said Ian. 

I pay about £1100 a year in membership subs and the friendships, banter, competitive golf, social golf, handicap cert, quality of course and the ability to just turn-up and play (or practice) without booking make it worth every penny.

I understand of course that not everyone is fortunate enough to have the choice but if you can afford to join a club that offers all the above then don't hesitate. 

user52922
Reply : Wed 30th Mar 2011 17:50

I assume you are a member at Berkhamstead, in which case you have a great course for a very competitive price. Played there a few times myself.

user21179
Reply : Thu 31st Mar 2011 00:59

I grew up in Berko and played there as a junior, now i live in brighton and you have played all the courses in this area John.

IS THERE A COURSE YOU DONT KNOW LOL ?

agree that berko is a great little track, but subs are more than 1k !!!

user52922
Reply : Thu 31st Mar 2011 10:11

Tim, there are plenty that I have never played, especially now we have all these new ones. I only went to Berkhamstead a few times to play in the Berkhamstead Trophy.

user99350
Reply : Thu 31st Mar 2011 15:41

I think the only downside to being a member or playing the same course is that you do get to know the course intimately and you more or less know what your next shot will be before you reach it. There's a lot to be said for being a nomad or best of all being a member and belonging to a society. CGL is a bunch of top blokes who play good courses in winter for great prices.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 31st Mar 2011 22:54

Lewis,

Where will you get to play? Hope it's Starbeck, Pannel & Wetherby. Oakdale and Knaresborough are OK too.

TheLyth

Reply : Fri 1st Apr 2011 18:32

Lewis,

Correct, Starbeck is Harrogate GC. Like Cobble Hall is Leeds GC and many more.

Being new to the 'club' you may get asked to play at The Car Park, oops sorry Crimple Valley. When new guys joined Roundhay and wanted to play in a 'Team' they got invites to Gotts Park, Normanton and the likes, not Moortown and Sandmoor.

Being a 'Team Member' can also bring Invitation Day invites too.

You will enjoy it.

TheLyth

Reply : Fri 1st Apr 2011 19:34

I used to travel from Leeds to have a drink there on a Saturday night. Great social side. Alas Robin Lumb and John Beatie are no longer with us (founders).

TheLyth

user90905
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 17:53

I gave up my previous club membership as the course was only playable from april to september. The rest of the year it was flooded or mostly on temporary greens and i thought £600 plus was steep for this. Joined a closer 9 hole golf centre with genuine all year round play with no temps ever and very well kept greens. At £250 pa with shop discounts and excellent member rate driving range and practice facilities included this has proved to be perfect for me. I can now get 9 holes in before work 2 or three times and 18 holes once or twice most weeks. I am going to use the money saved on playing other courses and joining one or two of the monthly coaching sessions.

user38216
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 18:34

£1,100 a year. ouch.

user263834
Reply : Tue 5th Apr 2011 12:10

I've joined my local club (Wareham, Dorset) on a trial membership (£60 for a month). It's about £650 for a full membership.

I can already see the advantages - nipping out when the weather is better than expected, playing a few holes when I have time, turning up Sat/Sun morning and finding someone to play with etc.

The downside is that if I go ahead and join-up, I won't be able to afford going out with my work golf society :o( 

I have no issue with playing the same course all of the time, especially as it's partnered with a few other local courses.

Last edit : Tue 5th Apr 2011 12:12

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top