Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Whats a hybrid

Posted by: user370436 | Mon 28th Mar 2011 21:20 | Last Reply

Can someone please explain what a hybrid is and what I would need it for ?

re: Whats a hybrid
user250721
Reply : Mon 28th Mar 2011 21:28

So far we know you "dont mess about" with your golf gear.

We know that you played for the first time in a long while and shot 99.

We know you like to have all the matching gear so that you dont look like a "tramp"  or a "twat"

Now your asking us what a hybrid is?

Google it pal.

user16106
Reply : Mon 28th Mar 2011 22:05

Both me & harrington have wilson clubs!

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user24437
Reply : Mon 28th Mar 2011 22:50

Oh dear, means you wouldn't like the look of my golf gear then.  My irons have got no designer labels, just  XKR200.  Hangs head in shame  .Image

Last edit : Mon 28th Mar 2011 22:51
user26342
Reply : Thu 31st Mar 2011 11:56

Put a set of Wilson's in a scratch players hands & a set of the new Taylormade R11's in a 24 hcapper hands & who do you reckon would win???

user331868
Reply : Thu 31st Mar 2011 12:27

John

are both players playing off scratch or are they playing stableford.

playing off scratch there would only be one winner

playing off stableford it could go either way

Last edit : Tue 5th Apr 2011 07:26
user26342
Reply : Thu 31st Mar 2011 12:29

stroke play, the only real test.

user21179
Reply : Sat 2nd Apr 2011 01:01

just like the matching bag thread, Mzc Jogan is having you all on again !

Either that or he really cant hit his low irons out of the semi on his way to a 98 !!!!

user24437
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 16:20

Spam

user38216
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 18:32

John

are both players playing off scratch or are they playing stapleford.

playing off scratch there would only be one winner

playing off stapleford it could go either way.

Stableford please.  Personally not a fan of the format but at least spell it right!!

user52922
Reply : Mon 4th Apr 2011 18:41

stableford is a mickey mouse format and should be consigned to the dustbin.

Last edit : Mon 4th Apr 2011 19:00
user331868
Reply : Tue 5th Apr 2011 07:44

WOW, David Homer          

you noticed a spelling mistake, go straight to the top of the class.

I bet you were one of those kids at school that nobody liked, who always stuck his hand up when teacher asked the class questions.[ ie: Teachers pet].

John P

I totally disagree with you, Stableford is the best thing to have happened to amateur golf, it gives the not so good players an even playing field against the better golfers.

I play golf at least once a week in a 4-ball, we play for money, £5 front nine, £5 back nine and a £1 nearest the pin on all par 3s, our handicaps are 15, 16, 17, 28, if it were not for stableford the 28 handicapper would not be able to play, hes already at a slight disadvantage on the par 3s but because of stableford he feels like he is not the odd man out.

user52922
Reply : Tue 5th Apr 2011 08:58

Chris, you are forgttting that this wonderful game of ours is about the number of strokes taken, not the number of points earned.

Don't start me on 28 handicaps, they should never have been allowed.

As regards the disadvantage you are talkng about, he does not have to join you in the nearest the pin, does he. All you are doing is increasing the odds in your favour.

I might add you are not the only one who plays for money. We usually play for a penny a yard.

Last edit : Tue 5th Apr 2011 09:26
user331868
Reply : Tue 5th Apr 2011 12:32

John

I love playing golf but i love it even more playing with my mates and just because one of my mates is not as good as the rest of us is no reason to exclude him from a little wager.

If everyone played stroke play then what would be the point of playing competitions, as someone like you or me playing off 16 or 17 would not stand a chance playing someone like David Lythgoe who plays off 3, stableford brings everyone together so more people can play this great game and not be too scared of entering competitions, surely that is a good thing.

user52922
Reply : Tue 5th Apr 2011 15:23

It might sound a good idea in prionciple, Christopher, but it just does not work in practice.

The game is 18 holes and how many, and that is the only yardstick to get ones handicap.

I have no idea of the mak-up of your game but I am off a similar handicap to you yet find it very difficult to make pars, but bogeys are relatively easy. In other words I am very consistent. I need to make 2 pars per round to play to my handicap yet I expect you are more than capable of making at least half a dozen pars in a round but susceptible to the odd disaster.

By playing stableford you are favouring the higher handicaps as it is far easier to take shots off a score when there plenty of opportunities to do so, yet someone like 'The Lyth' has a much more difficult job to go under his handicap substantially, unlike the 28 handicapper.

user331868
Reply : Wed 6th Apr 2011 07:25

GolferJohn

I agree that its more likely that a high handicapper will score 40pts and that it can be a little annoying when they get 2 shots on a par 3, but i still think its the best way of scoring. If everyone played by stroke play i would guess that at least 50% of golfers that play in competitions would no longer enter them. Also your right about my golf, i can easily hit 5 or 6 pars but also in the same round hit 3 or 4 double bogeys or even a treble as i sometimes struggle off the tee and end up in the trees or out of bounds, consistency is my Holy Grail....!!!! [ one day i will find it].

Last edit : Wed 6th Apr 2011 07:28
user16106
Reply : Wed 6th Apr 2011 12:24

Although nothing to do with hybrids ( thread ) my view is stableford should be max 18 hcp. No more than 3 pts scored at any hole. No less than 1 pt at any 1 hole when working out  handicap. Although a blob will score o in comps. We have players off 50 hcp in our soc so they get 3 shots on a par 3 before others have taken a tee shot. Is this fair?

Dave CAC handed Geordie. Still looking forward to the GS Matchplay.

user331868
Reply : Thu 7th Apr 2011 06:10

David

Wow a 50 handicap, even though i agree with the Stableford scoring you should never be higher than 28 as most players are capable of getting par on a short par 3, and if that 50 handicapper pars it, that makes it a nett 0, which we all know is impossible and to score 5pts on one hole is crazy. Crazy 1

Last edit : Thu 7th Apr 2011 06:12

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top