Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Putter Advice

Posted by: user322661 | Mon 28th Mar 2011 12:05 | Last Reply

Hi,

I'm really struglling with my putting game with regular 3/4 putts, and am thinking it maybe down to my putter.

The problem is that I can't judge the pace of the put where I either leave the ball well short on long puts and long on short puts. I'm heavy handed, so are there putters out there for the likes of me, or does it just come down to practice, practice, practice.

BTW the putter I use Odyssey White Hot XG No.1

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

re: Putter Advice
user69191
Reply : Mon 28th Mar 2011 12:57

Nice putter. It will be as you say practice, practice, practice. Were you putting better last year with it? The reason I ask is that at this time of year a lot of players think about changing their clubs, putters etc. They forget that in the last 3 or 4 months greens have been playing differently and now they are drying out a little you're not used to them. Unless you're not happy with you're putter at all then I wouldn't recommend changing it. Its the most important club in the bag.

user250721
Reply : Mon 28th Mar 2011 14:53

I struggled with the same and went with a lighter putter (funny isnt it) I currently have a £5.99 Dunlop from sports direct and have been making more putts than ever, just practice before your round to get a feel for how the greens are currently running 

user26537
Reply : Mon 28th Mar 2011 15:06

Large, small, heavy light, mallet, blade, broom handle, belly, etc all total b**ls.  Paul was right; PRACTICE !!!

I am saying this from experience.  Lots of unused putters, large hole in bank account and a hell of a lot more grey hair, still struggle on occcasion.  But settled two years ago on a single wand and have kept practicing. 

Also record you putting, it may not be as bad as you think.  A while ago this site published (cannot remember if it was online or via something in the envelope with the handicap card) an excellent card to record you "advanced stats".  If you 3 putt on the first, get a card out and record the rest of the round, you may be surprised at how well you did over the whole round.  

user250721
Reply : Mon 28th Mar 2011 19:20

Its a shame that you dont get putting greens at driving ranges, not being a member of a club means I can only practice before a round where I'd love to be able to spend much more time on putting!

user16106
Reply : Tue 29th Mar 2011 21:40

Matt, why dont you just go to a nearby course and have the odd half hour practice on their putting green? I dont think anyone will have a gripe.

Steve, You are spot on with that tip. I always imagine im  throwing a ball  underarm when ive got short chips. 5-20yds. To get a feel for rhythm and speed.

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 26th Apr 2011 16:10

Try here for some easy to use recording sheets (or do what I do and just use the scorecard you get when playing a round).

http://www.golfshake.com/report/statcard_index.php

Regards

D

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top