Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Hooking The Ball!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 27th Mar 2011 18:46 | Last Reply

I've been playing really well all over the winter months, just not been scoring well enough.

Played particularly well the last two weeks (six rounds).

Today I went out and I've started to hook the ball off the tee and with my long/medium irons.

The last time this happened I had started to swing around my body too much.

I tried to make sure I wasn't doing this but I still managed to draw/hook the ball.

Most of the time the ball would start off straight and then turn to the left.

Any ideas how to stop doing this?

Today's round broke my run of not shooting over 89 for about the last twenty rounds of golf!

Russ

re: Hooking The Ball!
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 28th Mar 2011 09:42

I've no tips but it sure does get frustrating.  2 weeks back I had similar problems, driver fine off the tee but every iron I hit I opened the club face and sent the ball scuttling 100 yards with a right kick.

It was so closely to being a full on shank.  Started on the first tee, where I took my trusty 3 iron and took me 16 holes to get any decent connection!

re: Hooking The Ball!
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 28th Mar 2011 18:15

I went out today but didn't manage to get a full 18 holes in due to the course being busy, funny how all throught the winter months you can have the course to yourself, then the moment the sun comes out it's a free for all!

Started well, with a straight drive (270 yards), then onto the green with my approach.

Second tee, a long par 3 (181 to the flag today, against a slight breeze), took my four iron and hit a big hook, found my ball on the path next to the third tee! The swing felt fast.

Then on the fifth tee I would normally hit my drive straight over the trees on the corner of the dogleg.  Today I decided to see if I could aim the ball down the middle and get it to draw.  WRONG, big hook that ended up OOB's

Onto the sixth tee, par three, 160 yards to the flag today, six iron for me but I hit another big hook, again it was a fast swing.  This time though I felt as though I was dropping the club too far down on my back swing.

For the rest of the holes I concentrated on swinging back and through, trying not to drop my hands to far on the inside. 

It appears to have worked.  Didn't hit a hook for the rest of the round.

Let's hope it stays that way as Stuart (smooth swing) Govan and myself are setting Dave (where did my ball go) Marshall and John (I can't get it that far) Pettit for a real beating in our matchplay game!

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top