Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicap Cut

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 26th Mar 2011 06:48 | Last Reply

Last Sunday I won our Sunday Medal with 43 points.

This meant I would be getting my handicap cut.

After this round I was contacted by another member to play our singles matchplay game on the Priors Course.

When I arrived at the course I asked if his handicap was still 17, which it was.

I then said I was playing off 14 (13.8)

My opponent then stated that my handicap was in fact 12 (12.3).

I asked how he knew this and he said it was on Howdidido.co.uk, and so it was.

This left us with a problem as both of us were not aware of which handicap I should play!

I've always gone with the handicap list in the changing rooms at my golf club.  These are normally updated the weekend after a competition.

Not being sure of what to do I said I would play off the 12 handicap, but would then contact the organiser and find out the correct procedure for this.

This meant I would be giving him five shots.

When we got to the second tee my opponent said that he thought I was correct and that we should use the handicap in the changing room, so I played off 14 and gave him three shots.

It didn't matter as I won the match 3 & 2.

The organiser got back to me and said that I should have estimated what my handicap cut would be and should have played with that handicap.

Having spoken with other players from different golf clubs they said that they always play from the handicap list at the club, despite any pending cuts.

My problem with estimating my new handicap is what would happen if I estimated my new handicap to be 11.  Then I would play the match and get beat, only to find out that I should have played off 12 which meant the match would have been halved, so extra holes would be needed. 

What happens at your golf club when this situation happens?

Russ

re: Handicap Cut
user52922
Reply : Sat 26th Mar 2011 07:45

A handicap is not official until your club states the change. You would have no idea what the CSS was for that day so anything you did in respect of changing your handicap could have been incorrect..

A great round thought Russ, always knew you had it in you. Well done.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 26th Mar 2011 11:43

I agree with John.

Until a CSS is posted you can only 'guesstimate' any changes, and the CSS is posted with the results and any Hcp changes.

BUT!

A number of Clubs say you should 'pull' yourself if you play in two Comps in two days.

For "HowdidIdo" to have your Hcp at 12.3, it must also have had the 'official' result too, so a CSS posted. If 'HDID' had that information it should also have been posted at your club?

TheLyth

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 26th Mar 2011 14:49

I don't know what happens at other golf clubs, but at my golf club the results from the previous weekend don't get put up in the locker room until the Saturday after.

The next time I see one of the competition guys I'll have to ask them about this.

Thanks John, been playing really well for the last three months, just not scoring.  Now the weather/course is getting better my scores are coming along just fine.

I've decided this year to concentrate on playing the Abbotts more than the Priors.  It's a harder course I think, and I haven't been above 89 for a round of golf on there for the last dozen or so rounds.

Russ

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 27th Mar 2011 18:59

I spoke with one of the committee members today and he confirmed what had been e-mailed to me.

If I know I’m due a cut in my handicap then I have to work out what I think the cut will be, and then play the competition with that handicap.

I know how to work out handicap cuts but until the results are posted in the locker room I have no idea what the CSS will be!

He told me that I should use the SSS to work out the cut.

I could do this, but I said what would happen if I work out my handicap to be 12.4, so I play off 12, and then the results are posted and it turns out I am now a 12.5, playing off 13.

If I lose the matchplay game and it turns out we halved the hole where I would have had the extra shot.  Would we then have to replay the match with my proper handicap?

It is very time consuming sorting out all my singles and doubles games so having to replay a game that has already taken place seems silly to me.

I then stated that if I am a 12.4 (12) handicap and I have a really poor medal round, should I add the extra 0.1 to my handicap, therefore playing my game off 12.5 (13).  He said “No”, it doesn’t apply when your handicap goes up!

It was my opponent who chased me to play this game, so it wasn’t as if I was trying to get an advantage by playing it early.  Having looked back at the scores I would still have won 3 & 2 whatever I played off.

I think in future I’ll wait until the results sheets are posted in the locker room before playing any of these matchplay games.

To top it all off it turns out that after my medal win last Sunday I’m not sitting on top of the Order of Merit board.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top