Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Par 3 Courses & Handicap

Posted by: user274973 | Wed 23rd Mar 2011 01:25 | Last Reply

Hello.

When I first started playing golf properly about 12 months ago, I played a lot of rounds on par 3 courses.  The rounds I shot on these courses helped me to ge to a handicap of 22, however, when I play on a full size course, I shoot scores closer to that of a 28 handicapper.

I play most of my golf now on full size courses, so when I input my round from a full size course my handicap increases by 0.1 every time because I'm playing off a handicap of 22,  but then when I play the odd par 3 course, I usually shoot a nett round under par, and so my handicap decreases again.

What I'm trying to say is, should par 3 course scores contribute towards my handicap, or are they a false reflecton on what my handicap should be? 

Thanks for reading.  I hope someone can offer me a bit of guidance/advice on the above.

Chris

re: Par 3 Courses & Handicap
user79118
Reply : Wed 23rd Mar 2011 20:03

Hi Chris,

in my experience of par 3 courses I find I don't use any club more than a 4 iron (180 yds). This may just be the courses I have played though. Do you find that when you play a 'full size' course you are struggling to control the driver or fairway woods? The course I play most weekends is usually driver or 3 wood followed by 7,8,9,or wedge to the green with the odd par 5 requiring a drive, 7 iron to lay up to the water followed with 7 or 8 iron to the green so par 3 courses test areas of my game that I don't always use i.e. 160 -190 yards in. It could be the opposite for you in that your more at home with your longer irons than with woods. Try leaving your woods at home and just play a par 5 with 3 blows of your 6 iron and 2 putts.

user274973
Reply : Wed 23rd Mar 2011 22:35

I do stuggle with the driver yes, and quite often my score is boasted up quite considerably by the fact that I tend to lose a lot of balls off the tee with a big slice, and end up having to take a drop! 

Therefore, I've started to use a fairway wood off the tee, which I'm able to control alot better, and am at least able to get the ball in play.  Failing this I will use a hybrid off the tee, and opt for the longer second shot, normally with a hybrid again or a long/mid iron.

Thanks for your advice Chris, appreciate that.

In regards to my scores on par 3 courses, should these be used to help calculate my handicap, or should a golfers handicap only be used for the 'full size courses'?

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 23rd Mar 2011 22:40

I think the problem stems to putting nine zero's on an 18hole card when playing only nine holes rather than playing Par3 courses.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top