Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

help getting out of bunkers

Posted by: user94811 | Sun 20th Mar 2011 20:40 | Last Reply

I have just moved to a new course which has more sand in it than the sahara desert.

I used to be Ok at getting out of bunkers but boy am I struggling now.

In the last 4 rounds I have only escaped first time once--I have taken 2 , 3 ,4 and occassionally even more shots to escape these damned bunkers.

Some decent rounds are going up in smoke any time i go in the sand.--and you al know what it is like -the harder I try to stay out of them -the more often I land in them

Does anyone have any tips to help me get out first time?

There used to be a sand wedge which guaranteed to get you out of sand first time--Alien, I think it was called. I am going to try and track down one of them, if they are still around.

Any help and assitance wil be gratefully appreciated by this struggling golfer

re: help getting out of bunkers
user250721
Reply : Sun 20th Mar 2011 21:22

Drew

Sounds to me like you've admitted defeat before you even land in them!

I had a friend (similar H/C to you) who also struggled in bunkers. He did change his wedges but after did admit that he felt 90% of it was in his mind as he told himself he wouldnt get out first time. 

Since he has gone back to his old wedges and hardly ever has any issues.

Might be worth thinking about before any new equipment.

user99350
Reply : Mon 21st Mar 2011 08:40

Drew, go to the practice bunker, line up 10 balls at a time and make a mark two inches behind the ball. With a full swing (make sure you dont decelerate through the shot) concentrate on making sure the club head enters the sand at that mark and see how you go. Change the mark: to get more distance hit nearer, for less hit further away. Once you've got the hang of it you can start opening the club face for the more delicate shots.

user24437
Reply : Mon 21st Mar 2011 10:06

I'd agree with Pat's approach with just one proviso - always follow through.  If you chop the ball it won't go anywhere, it's the sand that lifts the ball not the club.  Just try it when you practice, it's amazing how softly you nedd to swing to pop the ball up.  

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 21st Mar 2011 13:58

Drew,

I will go another way than the guys here. What you describe is common. The thicknessdepth of the sole on  your SW could be the route cause. Your OK out of bunkers with little sand using a narrow soled SW but go into a bunker with alot of sand and you duff the shot?

I hope this sounds OK to you, if it doesn't, just ask. Explode out of hard shallow sands and try to skim out of soft deep sand.

TheLyth

Last edit : Mon 21st Mar 2011 14:00
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 21st Mar 2011 18:09

The main thing here is NOT to go in the bunkers in the first place.

I took a lesson on bunker play and was told the following.

1)  Have the golf ball level with your the heel on your front foot.

2)  Open your stance, I was told to open my stance so I was facing about twelve feet to the left of the flag (right handed golfer).

3)  Wiggle your feet so you have a solid base from which to swing from.  And this also allows you to get the 'Feel' of the sand.

4)  Have the face of your club pointing at the flag, this will mean your clubface is open.

5)  Keep your weight on the front throughout the swing.

6)  Swing the club along the line of your feet.

7)  Try to 'Slap' the sand with the bottom of your club, you can practice this outside of the bunker before you take your shot.

You will have to practice but I'm sure that after a few sessions you'll get the hand of it,

The main thing about bunkers is 'Get out of the bunker!', once you are confident of getting out of the bunker then you can worry about where on the green you want to land the ball.

Good luck with this.

Russ 

user94811
Reply : Mon 21st Mar 2011 19:58

Guys, thanks very much for all the excellent tips and advice.

I will head to the practice bunker as soon as I can to try them out.

if all the practice fails , i really liked Richards tip about throwing the ball out--I mght even try that one  LOL!!!

I wil let you know how I get on--cheers eveyone

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top