Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Clickgolf Trolleys

Posted by: user201647 | Thu 24th Feb 2011 12:20 | Last Reply

Nat has a gokart eletric trolley just got a new battery for it his old battery still works but starting to run down as its comeing up to the 17 hole. He now wants a clickgolf trolley, I was wondering if any one on here who has one of these trolleys and was thinking of getting an eletric trolley it they would concidering a swap. Gokart  are great if any thing goes wrong they take it away lend u a new one and get yr one back in 2 days they are resonable price to get serviced it cost us £35 and got a trolley back that looks new. The trouble is all the boys go through wanting what all the other boys want and clickgolf trolleys are all the rage with the boys now. I have told Nat that he can not have another trolley but said I would come on here and if any one wants to swap with him. We live in Romford so prob would be better if some one want to swap then they lived near here

re: Clickgolf Trolleys
user24437
Reply : Thu 24th Feb 2011 12:44

Heather

You may think this is unhelpful and the ramblings of an old fart, but why on earth would any junior actually need a trolley, let alone an electric one?  OK, I know about the peer pressure thing, my daughter went through the same thing with her horses, but they are nothing but a luxury.

Get him a decent lightweight carry bag.  You could sell it to him in various ways:

a) it will improve his mental game because at times it's easier to only take a few clubs, this will make him think much more about the shots that he plays.

b) it will get him fitter and improve his upper body strength and stamina

c) it will speed his game up as the bag gets dropped right next to where you play , can be a physcological advantage in competitions

I know it won't work, but may be worth a go...

user26342
Reply : Thu 24th Feb 2011 13:13

Tim,

I suppose it depends on his size & frame. If he's on the little side it may be cumbersome to carry a bag, especially in winter when you need to pack waterproofs etc. There may also be the fact that in the school hols the juniors are playing twice a day OR the type of course?

I've read various medical journals on the benfits & pros against carrying vs trolley & there really isn't much difference, it comes down to personal choice.

Heather, tell him if he wants a new trolley then he should earn it!

user201647
Reply : Thu 24th Feb 2011 13:39

He has a small frame in the summer playes every day and in some junior opens they have to play 36 holes which is very tireing do not think hne would make it to the end if he had to carry a bag round 36 holes in one day so having a troley is very usefull most of the boys have them now. He is working hard is hoping to get down to 8 handy cap by the end of the summer so will be on the course a lot

user24437
Reply : Thu 24th Feb 2011 14:41

I wasn't talking about a tour bag, just a light one for 5 or 6 clubs.  The thing about carrying is that the more you do it the easier it gets, you attain a level of fitness that you simply won't approach when using a trolley.  When I were a lad (cue Hovis music) I doubt that I'd have thought that 2 rounds of golf a day was even exercise, and I was very small as a child.  Yes, yes and there were 16 of us living in a shoe box in't middle of t'road etc, etc.

user26342
Reply : Thu 24th Feb 2011 14:56

If he just took his driver & putter he could get away with a carrier bag

"..and I was very small as a child". What's changed??

Last edit : Thu 24th Feb 2011 15:02
user24437
Reply : Thu 24th Feb 2011 15:20

At least I can still my shoes without bending over...

user278729
Reply : Thu 24th Feb 2011 16:38

My sons, aged 9 and 11, both play regularly and both use carry bags - with 5,7,9,SW, 3 wood, driver and putter. I use a trolley as it saves my back (ooh me back...) and end up transporting their drinks, coats, etc. That's one of the things dads are for I suppose!  I certainly don't want to encourage them to use a trolley at their age. Each to their own though.

Andy 

user249845
Reply : Thu 24th Feb 2011 20:38

The use of a trolley/cart should be the preserve of the over 50s or those with genuine mobility problems, IMO.

For the price that some of these things sell at, one could buy a good car!

user201647
Reply : Fri 25th Feb 2011 12:12

I do not drive  Nat has to walk to the bus stop then get off that bus then walk to another bus stop when he gets off this bus, has to walk to golf club so in all its like walking 9 holes, so by the time he practices and starts to go round the course he is tired. Mose of the boys have trolleys when in golf comps so if yr child has not got one is at a dis-advantige  when the other boys have been going round with a trolley they are fresh wile the boys with out trolleys are tired. I have also notticed older players not just the over 50s  seem to have a stoop which is casused by carrying golf clubs this can cause lower back trouble. Nat likes to take all his clubs over to the golf course so he can patrice for a few hours so can not take 2 bags with him on a bus.

user359843
Reply : Fri 25th Feb 2011 12:29

I wouldn't say that the stoop is caused by carrying golf clubs, it is more likely to be the trolley or just the fact that they are 50+ things slow down as you age.  Playing golf does more damage to the back than carrying the clubs.  However, pulling/pushing the trolley does cause the user to bend and can cause back problems and shoulder problems.

Weigh this against the benefits of carrying the clubs, which will actually improve the muscles in the back and improve posture, just food for thought.

user24437
Reply : Sat 26th Feb 2011 00:50

Got to agree with you there John.  I've a long history of lower back problems but since I ditched the trolley and started carrying (with an almost religious fervour) it rarely a bothers me anymore - and at 54 I'm no spring chicken.  I easily managed 6 rounds in 6 days in Portugal recently, not on the flatest of courses either, and to date only Hollins Hall has defeated me (that and the blistering heat).  Yes it's true that the first few months were hard, but now I don't even feel as if I've played if I get roped into a buggy.  

user26342
Reply : Sat 26th Feb 2011 19:31

This would suggest otherwise

http://www.clinchiropractic.com/article/S1479-2354(07)00083-1/abstract

http://www.golfmagic.com/equipment-news/why-carrying-golf-bags-is-madness/4888.html

Last edit : Sat 26th Feb 2011 20:00
user24437
Reply : Sat 26th Feb 2011 19:50

Hmm, so it's only PowaKaddys that are good for you then?  Not generic electric trolleys?  Could be a bit of bias there maybe. The first link doesn't actually have any quantative evidence either (can't access the full text unfoortunately), but I'd like to have a look if anyone can get it. 

user26342
Reply : Sat 26th Feb 2011 19:55

Some information and quotes in the article were generated by PowaKaddy, who undertook their own research, hence the direct references to the brand in some comments.

user26342
Reply : Sat 26th Feb 2011 19:58

http://www.clinchiropractic.com/article/S1479-2354(07)00083-1/abstract

user26342
Reply : Sat 26th Feb 2011 20:09

How about this one?

http://golf.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=golf&cdn=sports&tm=66&f=00&su=p284.9.336.ip_p50
4.1.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http://www.pgatour.com/2008/r/12/22/golf.ap/index.html

some quotes taken from it are;

"--There was virtually no difference in calories burned between carrying (721) and using a push cart (718) -- a surprising result to many, who figured it would take more work to push the cart."

"But the benefit of walking didn't outweigh the stress of looping the bag on and off your shoulder 40 or 50 times and lugging it around the course over the span of two hours. The average scores for the walk-and-carry rounds was 45."

user26342
Reply : Sat 26th Feb 2011 20:12

Tim,

Here's the full text report

http://northwalesspineclinic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Golf.pdf

user78137
Reply : Mon 28th Feb 2011 21:57

Hi I have a clicgear golf trolley & more recently a Gokart golf trolley.

Both of these are first class.  The clicgear apparently "looks like a push chair"  thats great for carrying my babies around!

its light a synch to put up & folds to a tiny size.  I also had the umbrella holder, brilliant in winter.  I can highly recommend.

On the other hand due to a bad back more recently my wife bought me a Gokart electric trolley.  Cheap, brilliant for two rounds no bother.  Umbrella holders, seats etc available at cheap prices.  I have even rigged it up to charge my phone off of the battery. My friends all have the top end market electric trollies, but all concede that the gokart with its funky look is a diamond.

Top marks on their service too. I broke the card holder cover after 18 months, two days later a new one arrived free of charge! This trolley is top drawer in my opinion & now well tested.

I am not allowed to sell the clicgear as another pressie from the Mrs, to be honest would like to keep it anyways you never know if your going to need it!

Hope my post helps. Just to add, trollies make for lighter work, tiredness destroys your golf. why not make life easier?

user201647
Reply : Tue 1st Mar 2011 08:03

I am pleased with my sons GoKart Trolley its very light looks good and not very wide. I do not drive so some times when we try to get on the bus the driver will not let us on they have said that batterys are not allwed  on the bus so have to wait till a driver will let us on that is why I would like to see if any one will do  a stright swop with Nats Gokart

user52922
Reply : Tue 1st Mar 2011 09:47

Some very conflicting remarks in this thread from the players who are able to play with a bad back but cannot carry a bag or push a trolley.

When I started playing we always played 36 holes a day,, one hardly ever saw a hand trolley. Rounds took 3 hours for a 4 ball.

I carried till I was 62 years of age and then only ill health stopped that practise.

I am sorry you have to go on a bus, Heather, I too used to do this from Wood Green to Chingford, or to Enfield to play the public course nearest to me. All part of the process of growing up.

I expect the next generation of players will have put the game even further back with rounds of five and six hours as the norm.

user201647
Reply : Tue 1st Mar 2011 11:14

Nat and his friends can go round in 3 hours trouble is even thought some of them are single figer handy caps Nat  should be a 8 or 9 by the end of the summe can play to 12 at them moment,, they are held up by other players who are playing slow but because they are juniors are not let through so some thing that would take them 3 hours takes them  5 or 6

user52922
Reply : Tue 1st Mar 2011 14:35

I can sympathise, Heather, this is usually the case at most clubs, jumiors are frowned upon when in actual fact they are usually better players.

Personally, I believe that all youngsters should be encouraged, but apart from cheaper membership fees nothing is done to bring them on. Sad, of course, but true, nevertheless.

Looks as though Nat is progressing nicely and let us hope that he does get into single figures.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top