Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

John Letters

Posted by: user220805 | Tue 22nd Feb 2011 12:03 | Last Reply

I am currently testing lots of equipment as i'm looking to change my whole set i currently use;

Ping Rapture V2 10.5 With An X Flex Diamana WhiteBoard

Titleist 909 F With An X Flex Diamana WhiteBoard

Adams Pro Black With An X Flex Aldila Voodoo

Callaway Prototype Blades With 7.0 Project X Shafts 2-Pw

54  58 Titleist Vokey Wedges With 7.0 Project X Shafts

Titleist Scotty Cameron Napa Valley Putter 32 Inch

I am looking for everything new except my putter and hyrbid as they are the best clubs in my bag i have tried nearly every model of clubs from all the big manufacturers and have to say i have found the John Letters equipment the best not just for price as that is not really a problem but for the shafts they were offering and the advice that i have revieved regarding the product. I hear lots of bad things on here regarding golf shops but i find that speaking to someone about what your looking for and to achieve is so much better than just buying gear over the internet or on ebay. Anybody got any ideas about equipment i should look to or places i should go to get the best advice??

Thanks Dave

re: John Letters
user52922
Reply : Tue 22nd Feb 2011 14:11

It is nice to see an old and well respected clubmaker making a comeback into the top end of the market. It is just a pity that they did not go the whole hog and make a pure blade rather than the slight cavity back forged Master Model.

Cranking them down 2 degrees is another ploy to claim length with the excuse of a lower ball flight that the better players demand.

Nice to see you back on the site Dave, sorry your handicap has drifted slightly upwards, but it was unneccessary to ask the question you have when we all know that your knowledge on clubs is probably second to none having worked in the industry.

user250721
Reply : Tue 22nd Feb 2011 15:58

Dave

I found excatly the same recently.

I took my mate to direct golf who had also shopped around and he was telling me that Direct Golf would "push" the letters.

I tried the TM R9's, Cobra, Wilson, and the JL T8's and T9's.

I had most succes with the T8's and they felt really good and got much more distance and control than my current set. The sales guy wasnt to "hard sell" when it came to the letters and said go with what feels best. even though there was £200 difference between them and others.

I have put money aside and will going to get them any day now. 

Since then I have always suggested to people that they should try out as many clubs as possible as the name on them is not the most important thing, but the results.

user52922
Reply : Tue 22nd Feb 2011 17:10

Pleased to hear it, David, although you would acknowledge that your handicap would not be any different no matter what clubs you had in your hand. Talented players can play with anything.

user250721
Reply : Sun 27th Feb 2011 14:55

Brand new T8's in the bag....just waiting for a chance to use them now!!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 9th Mar 2012 13:53
user115085
Reply : Fri 9th Mar 2012 23:15

They actually look pretty nice. For a nice blade (not quite full) with toe weighting though check out the Maltby MMB's, everyone who has hit mine (hc's from 10 - 20) have been amazed.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top