Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Roundhay Municipal Golf Club, Leeds, West Yorkshire

Posted by: user68612 | Mon 21st Feb 2011 09:20 | Last Reply

Roundhay is a wonderful 9 hole mature parkland course established in 1922.  No two holes are the same and each hole offers something new to either advanced or beginner golfer.  

The 4thpar 4 is 430 yards with a tricky tee shot uphill through two copse of trees with a slight dogleg left, the walk down to the green with Roundhay Park backdrop is a wonderful sight in the height of summer or a frosty morning.  The 9thsignature hole is par 4 266 yards through a tight line of two copse of trees, a good par could easy turn into a nightmare double from inside the trees.

The course and club run summer offers of around £8.50 for 9 holes and a refreshing post round pint. 

http://www.roundhaygc.com

re: Roundhay Municipal Golf Club, Leeds, West Yorkshire
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 21st Feb 2011 13:55

I know every inch of the place, that is before some of the changes.

The lip on the front right bunker on 9 is 6ft lower now.

Gone is the old Pro Shop.

I first played there when there was no gap in the trees on 9 and there were no rough or trees between 4, 5 & 8.

TheLyth

Reply : Mon 21st Feb 2011 23:53

Stephen,

The plans were there, cost £125,000, but Leeds City Council spent £2m on Oulton instead.

Are you a member there? I'm thinking of coming 'home' this year.

TheLyth

Reply : Wed 23rd Feb 2011 00:40

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the old gang have moved on.

Micks ability to finish off everyones left-overs is legendary. As was his Santa Claus days for the kids. Having his son John sat on his knee crying for his dad will forever stay in my memory too.

How many pens in Bob McLauchlan's top pocket now?

The Club never looked forward in years gone by. The course hosted The Yorkshire Evening News Tournament in 1944 and nothing was kept that commemorated that fact. No photos were taken for the Club during the week long Jubilee Celebrations in 1972 either.

Did you know that John Spenser, Alex Higgins and Dennis Taylor have all played a game of snooker on the tables there.

TheLyth

Reply : Wed 23rd Feb 2011 10:58

That is sad news Stephen.

I've missed so much, heard about ex Junior Captain Shaun Keane recently too.

I look forward to seeing the additions to the website and if I can be of any help, just ask.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top