Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf in the wind

Posted by: user338942 | Fri 4th Feb 2011 17:37 | Last Reply

As most of the UK is getting a bit of a battering at the moment - how do you see playing in the wind - thrive off the challenge or struggle to judge things?

I'm lucky having an effective punch shot with a 4/5 iron, but my driver just goes into the stratosphere regards how low I tee it. I see it as great fun though and a good chance to try and shape shots

re: Golf in the wind
user52922
Reply : Fri 4th Feb 2011 18:55

The wind really sorts out those who do not strike the ball correctly, having said that, the wind is there to be used and learning all the shots that one can play into, downwind and against a cross wind will always stand one in good stead.

user250721
Reply : Fri 4th Feb 2011 19:48

I'll tell you after tomorrow!!

user103169
Reply : Fri 4th Feb 2011 20:21

You remember Bob Tootell. He booked what he thought was a very cheap golf holiday in Florida. When he got there it was hurricane season.

Undaunted, him and his mates started the first of their pre-booked rounds just as the winds were starting to get up.

Bob hit his driver on the first tee, he always got good elevation with his drives but this one went about 80yds forward, then up , back over his head, and landed 100yds behind him.

They returned to the clubhouse and didnt hit another ball all week !

user16106
Reply : Fri 4th Feb 2011 21:30

That gave me a laugh Tony. As for the wind, I play a lot on the Sussex coast. Hollingbury, Lewes, Seaford head. When its windy its bloody windy up on those downs / cliffs. Driver 120yds into the wind. PW 170 yds with the wind. Worst of all is sidewind. Only advice I would give is use the wind dont try to fight it. Tee it high with wind behind. Use a mid iron keep it low into the wind and be happy with 150yd drives.  Also widen your stance on putts.

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 5th Feb 2011 11:47

If you know how to control a ball, you can play in anything. Knowing what a good score is on a 'bad' day is half the battle. Trying to shoot level par on a day that breaking 80 is good will distroy many golfer.

Many golfers will not play "unless they have to" in bad conditions so don't have the knowledge to adapt to those conditions. Hitting balls in high wind on the range is OK to an extent but learning how a ball reacts on a course is worth a lot more.

TheLyth

user103169
Reply : Sat 5th Feb 2011 16:41

Dave.... I know what it can be like down in Sussex. Used to live in Henfield and played a lot at Waterhall ...when it blew there it blew

user79118
Reply : Sun 6th Feb 2011 15:35

Played today in the strong winds. Our course is on top of one of the highest hills for miles around. Great fun trying to judge how much the wind would blow your ball sideways and trying to estimate the landing area. Aimed 30 yards right of the green on one hole from 120yards in. Bunker right across the front so had no choice but to take the ariel route. Made par!!! Had quite a good round considering the conditions. 9 over for the round but off a shortened course cos of 9 winter tee's. Don't mind the wind, it's the rain I don't like.

user331868
Reply : Thu 10th Feb 2011 15:15

I dont mind the wind too much except for the strong left to right wind, as i tend to fade my driver and 3 wood. Still its lots of fun and better than the rain, just need to keep hold of your hat. Windy

Last edit : Thu 10th Feb 2011 15:16
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 12th Feb 2011 13:03

New Drivers are designed to get the ball airborne, so keeping the ball down with them is alot harder than with the 'old' wooden heads.

Being able to hit the ball with the bottom of the face off a tee slanted forward enables me to 'drive' the ball forward. Also you don't lose as much distance when the ball is on the ground. New course design doesn't allow for too many run-up shots so you have to play within the scope of your ability and the course design.

TheLyth

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Feb 2011 08:19

Mark/Lyth, how do the current multi piece balls perform in the wind ?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top