Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Which Driver?

Posted by: user328820 | Mon 24th Jan 2011 13:59 | Last Reply

Hi,

I'm a 28hc and looking to buy my first driver, found a good deal on Taylormade but limited in choice, its either a 9.5 degree R9 460 or a 10.5 degree R9, so should i go for larger clubhead and less loft or smaller clubhead and more loft??

Looking to buy the club tomorrow so any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ralph

re: Which Driver?
user38216
Reply : Mon 24th Jan 2011 15:41

Ralph

Ignore the deal and take the advice not the other way round.

user26342
Reply : Mon 24th Jan 2011 17:24

Ralph,

There's got to be a reason why the 9' is so cheap, perhaps because there not very forgiving. If your a 28hcap then this will make the game even harder & not inspire confidence. You'll end up with a club in your bag you won't want to use.

I've just recently swapped for an 11' Callaway FTiZ & I'm getting a lot more consistency.

user338942
Reply : Mon 24th Jan 2011 18:25

trust me, the 9* will slice like no ones business. a 10.5* would be miles more forgiving. I sampled a few 9* drivers last summer when i bought my TM superfast as i hit quiet a high ball off the tee, but found 10.5* much more managable and workable (if you know how to draw and fade)

also if the club is a stiff shaft (would most 9* drivers are) this will also work against you

user123290
Reply : Thu 27th Jan 2011 20:44

As a 28 handicapper I think going for a club just for a good deal is a bad idea.  Drivers with 9 or 10.5 degree are a lot harder to hit than say a 12 or 13 degree driver.  I started with a 13 degree Nike high loft driver which was great when I started.  I was on 28 then.

user24437
Reply : Thu 27th Jan 2011 20:58

My advice would be to get a decent, cheap driver off e-bay and fit a good shaft in it.  I've gone back to my old Ben Hogan Big Ben CS3 head (10.5 deg, draw weighted) and put a lovely Aldila DVS regular shaft in it.  It has done wonders for my driving. 

Last edit : Thu 27th Jan 2011 20:58

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top