Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicap Adjustments - max nett/gross double bogey?

Posted by: user43166 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 10th Jan 2011 10:51 | Last Reply

(not wanting to start another handicap debate but this one has been subject to a lot of discussion with us recently)

When calculating your score for handicap purposes, it is adjusted so the maximum you can score on any individual hole is double bogey. Golfshake uses "nett double-bogey" i.e. you are allowed your handicap allowance before calculating double-bogey.

Now, I am told by club members that this is not correct. It should be gross double-bogey. I had to register for another website (sorry Darren!!) for the National Matchplay Championship. This used gross double-bogey and gave me a much lower handicap for my scores.

i.e. a player with an 18 hcp scores 8 on a par four. Under nett double-bogey, you get your shot and then round to double-bogey - hence scoring 7. With gross, you can only score 6.

I did some research; even bought the official CONGU guide. As I remember - this seemed to backup the nett double bogey arguement but was not 100% clear. However, from what club players are telling me, it is not right!!

Excuse the long post. Would be great to get this sorted once and for all.

re: Handicap Adjustments - max nett/gross double bogey?
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 10th Jan 2011 11:06

Paul,

I think that when you first put Cards in for Hcp it is Gross, but once you enter Comps within a Club it is Nett. Most Hcp Systems work on Stableford points so ZERO points is Nett Double Bogey.

TheLyth

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 10th Jan 2011 11:26

AFAIK:

CONGU base your initial calculation on your best round of 3 submitted cards and then use the Nett Double Bogey rule for each round thereafter - http://www.congu.com/template2.asp?pid=63&parent=38&parent2=63

No online system can offer CONGU handicaps due to licensing restrictions.

Here on Golfshake our initial handicap is based on the average of your first 3 rounds and then a system not to dissimilar to CONGU and also using the Nett Double Bogey rule.  

If you used the Gross double bogey rule in a stableford competition this could still give you points, this argument becomes irrelevant for handicaps of 18 or below and maybe where the confusion is ?

Regards, Darren.

user43166
Reply : Mon 10th Jan 2011 11:53

This is exactly where the confusion is. You cannot just enter a gross double-bogey as this would result in you getting stableford points; you need to enter at least nett double-bogey (or 10, as you advise on your score entry pages). Could you add an option (checkbox) against each hole to indicate it was a blob?

I understand that what you score and what your handicap is based on can be different; and the concept is absolutely fine - I totally agree with it.

It just seems that there are 2 different sets of rules out there - do you cap the score at gross or nett double-bogey. Here on golfshake we use nett double-bogey. It does seem that clubs may use gross.

Is there a club handicap secretary out there who can advise?

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 10th Jan 2011 18:11

My understanding is that when you put in your first three scorecards they only allow you to score two shots more than the par for each hole.

Once you have your official handicap then they use the two shots on top of your handicap.

Russ

user43166
Reply : Mon 10th Jan 2011 19:24

Thanks all. Very interesting. I did not know that the initial cards submitted were treated differently from subsequent rounds. This is in line with a colleague of mine who has recently joined a club.

Having just got home I dragged out the CONGU book. You are of course dead right.

I also noted that the initial allocated handicap should be that corresponding to the best card submitted. I had previously assumed that it was an average of the cards submitted.

Armed with my new knowledge I can now put people right - and also correct the National Matchplay tracking website - which, I have to say, is not a patch on GS winkhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif" title="wink" width="20" />

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 10th Jan 2011 19:42

No worries Paul  maybe you should give them a prod to also allow the GS handicaps as well  

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top