Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What golf shoes to choose???

Posted by: user278729 | Sun 9th Jan 2011 09:42 | Last Reply

Happy new year all.

I have been using some Footjoy Aqualites quite happily and have found them relatively comfortable.  Got slightly wet yesterday with just a little bit of water getting as the course was water-logged in places.  I have been thinking about a new pair of shoes anyway and want quality, comfort, performance, etc.  Budget not main concern as good shoes seem worth it to me.

I have been looking online at the Footjoy Dryjoys.  Will most likely go to a store to look but am not really sure about the other shoes in the Footjoy range. What about another manufacturer??

Any experience of the Dryjoys, and in particular thoughts and comparisons to other shoes currently on the market would be helpful.

Really appreciate any help people can provide.

Andy

re: What golf shoes to choose???
user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Jan 2011 10:25

I have always had to wear leather soles for my normal day to day shoes as composite soles of any kind tend to draw my feet.

I have also always used leather soled shoes for golf and Fooltjoys used to make a "Classic" shoe which was constructed of leather uppers and soles. These of course were expensive, but cared for properly will last a lifetime. I have two pairs currently, but  finding new ones these days is becoming difficult as they have ceased production.

Those that are still available are still costing in the region og £169 but getting my width is not always possible.

I do believe that Stubert brought out a new Classic type show, endorsed by Darren Clarke in various outrageous colours , but they are also very expensive.

I don't like the designs of the current examples of golf shoe as, to me, they look just like posh trainers.

Having said all that, the choice is yours, Andy.

user24437
Reply : Sun 9th Jan 2011 11:35

I've got a couple of pairs of Dryjoys and they're fine - nice and comfy, warm and dry.  I can't say if they're better or worse than any other make, have not really tried any others. Strangely enough, probably the most comfortable pair I've owned were a pair of cheap one piece moulded ones, no longer around sine they got lifted from the boot of my car (at a well known course) in a car park.

user26342
Reply : Sun 9th Jan 2011 15:54

Andy,

Firstly I would ask what size width feet have you got? I've got very narrow feet & find the likes of Footjoy, Stuburt, etc to be too wide for my feet. I know you can get a proper 'last' measurement for Footjoy but you need to go & get them custom fitted.

I've found that Nike & Adidas are perfect for me. I currently wear the Nike Elite II (currently £69 from Online golf) which also have laces that go from the top of the shoe right near the end so I can lace them up nice & tight.

My next pair will probably be the Adidas Adipure, I previously owned about 3 pairs of the Adidas LTD's which were really comfy.

user278729
Reply : Sun 9th Jan 2011 16:56

Thanks Chaps.   JP - I tend to agree that quality is worth paying for and that looked after, decent shoes can be considered an investment.  I also prefer the slightly more classic looking shoe - personally not a fan of the `trainer' look but each to their own.  I think I need to have a look at a few pairs to get a real feel. I am drawn to the Footjoys because of their pedigree in producing good shoes. Happy to consider anything that comes highly recommended.  Andy

user278729
Reply : Sun 9th Jan 2011 17:58

Taken the plunge - ordered the new 2011 Footjoy Dryjoys. I'm sure they will be an improvement on the Aqualights.... Thanks again.  Andy.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top