Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Just moved house, need a new course. Suggestions?

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 31st Dec 2010 23:24 | Last Reply

I've just moved house to a completely new area and need to find a new home course.  I'm looking for somewhere I can become a member, preferably with practice facilities (driving range, short game area, putting green, etc) that will challenge me and require me to play well to score well. 

So how would you go about finding your new base?  Play a many as you can?  Read reviews?  Speak to the locals?  What would you do?

Oh, and if you can recommend a course within 30 minutes or so of Stroud please do so

re: Just moved house, need a new course. Suggestions?
user52922
Reply : Sat 1st Jan 2011 10:25

Minchinhampton G.C. right on your doorstep and has three courses to choose from, Chris.

user41897
Reply : Sat 1st Jan 2011 14:39

Gloucester course on Robinswood Hill is a great course but not unduly challenging.  Practice facilities are not too good though there is talk of a new driving range.

Minchinhampton that JP mentioned is well reputed.

The Manor House course is possibly within 30mins and that was a cracker.  Don't think they had a range tho. You'll get fit if you play there.

user26342
Reply : Sat 1st Jan 2011 16:54

I would first see if these clubs allow slugs on the course

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 2nd Jan 2011 11:39

Thanks for the advice on Minchinhampton John, I'll have a look at their courses.  The fee is £794 per year for the two new courses and you can play the old course at a reduced rate.  Joining fee is £794.  They also do a family scheme at £715 each (same joining fee) and as Jo has said she is thinking of starting back up that might work for us. 

At the moment, if I wasn't going to look anywhere else, I would join The Bristol as that is the most challenging and varied I have played.  I also like the atmosphere in the club house and the practice facilities are good.

user69191
Reply : Sun 2nd Jan 2011 17:12

Is The Kendalshire a bit far Chris?

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 2nd Jan 2011 19:27

Not really Paul and quite close to work (I work close to the M4-M32 junction).  Never really took to three loops of nine for some reason but willing to take a look.  Any good?

user52922
Reply : Sun 2nd Jan 2011 20:35

Agree with you on the three loops, Chris. Nothing worse than playing a nice brisk 9 holes only to find a queue on the tenth waiting to start their round.

I left a great club (Wildwood Golf & Country Club)because they introduced another nine holes, completely wrecking an enjoyable round of golf.

user246626
Reply : Sun 2nd Jan 2011 22:03

If your willing to travel to gloucester Brickhampton Court Golf Complex is a nice course to play. Especially in the summer. 

I could also suggest Tewkesbury Park and Puckrup Hall which are both in Tewkesbury and are both nice courses.

user69191
Reply : Wed 5th Jan 2011 12:36

Agree with the bind of 3 loops Chris. I missed out on playing The Kendalshire last year but my regular playing buddies spent the day there and all said it was the best course they've ever played, and that, coming from them is praise indeed. Incidentally they all played The Bristol a couple of weeks later and said it was a superb course but the Kendalshire was miles ahead of it.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top