Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

If a golfer wins the BBC SPOY...

Posted by: user276830 | Tue 14th Dec 2010 21:57 | Last Reply

So there are two golfers in the shortlist for Sports Personality of the Year, Lee Westwood and Greame McDowell.

If it came down to just those two who would you go for and why?

I think I'd go for Gmac. I think he's had more of "those moments" this year. He sank THAT putt on 16 in Celtic Manor. He tapped in to win the US Open on fathers day, and his dad saying "What a kid..."

He was also involved in (and ultimatley won) one of the best bits of golf entertainment last week when he broke the tigers heart in the playoff. And the 25 footer he sank... wow...

It seems that Lee simply did not get "his moment" this year. He was sat at home when he became world no. 1.

Not his fault I know, but when I look back at 2010 in 5, 10 or 15 years time, I'll think of Celtic Manor and the US Open... I'll not be thinking about that time I read on the BBC website about Lee Westwood becoming World No. 1.

Your thoughts?

Last edit : Wed 15th Dec 2010 13:13
re: If a golfer wins the BBC SPOY...
user250721
Reply : Tue 14th Dec 2010 22:06

Nail on the head springs to mind!

user115085
Reply : Tue 14th Dec 2010 22:50

It's been a great year for televised golf with the europeans and rest of world golfers really doing the business on the PGA. Not only the two mentioned but Rose, Casey, Mcilroy et all. Must say it's the first year in a long time I have really been expecting the europeans - and especially the Brits to really close out tournaments.

Got to agree that GMac has been the shining light this year, especially when the expectation was on some of the other big names. He is the one that has really made the world take notice and shown just how good the standard of the European tour is.

user24437
Reply : Tue 14th Dec 2010 23:02

My first thoughts on this was that Westwood stood the best chance out of the two (although I reckon the jockey will win it), after all he's the world number 1 and you don't get that by luck.  He's been a consistent front runner in all competitions and has shown steel that is all too rare in some British sportsmen.  And he's a local lad.

But...

After watching the quick preview the other night I think I changed my mind.  Just watching a few clips of GMac has made me realise that he's been the one that has put the smile on my face - the US open, the Ryder cup and the Tiger taming the other week as mentioned, they all had me on the edge of my seat .  So for sheer entertainment value this season I think he deserves it over Lee.

What's even better is that although there are two golfers in the SPOTY awards, there are established and up and coming UK and European golfers who are capable of beating them - not just one or two, but a whole stack of them.  Just seeing the calibre of players who had to be left out of the Ryder Cup team could prove to be the dawn of a bit of a golden era for the European game. 

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 10:21

My vote is going to Westwood.

For someone who can come from being in the bottom 250th in the world to the World No.1 must be applauded. That must be the BIGGEST moment in any golfers career?

If not for a rare 3 putt in the Open & a very inspired Mickleson in the Masters he would have had a few majors as well to his name.

To do all this and still not be 100% fit can only mean there's more wins & hopefully majors just around the corner. 

I think he also took over the 'Monty' role in the Ryder Cup very well indeed & I think he inspired the rookies & the young players.

Yes, GMac has done superb, he's won a Major & anchored the team well in the Ryder Cup BUT Westwood has performed well all year round.

I just wonder if you asked every pro golfer if they had to choose between winning a major or the World No.1 spot what they would choose?

user16163
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 12:10

Sorry john but i have to disagree with you, if it was down to a choice between these 2 then my vote would be to gmac

"For someone who can come from being in the bottom 250th in the world to the World No.1 must be applauded. That must be the BIGGEST moment in any golfers career?" 

agreed it is a great achievement, but you have to look at what this vote is i.e sports personality of the YEAR not career so far, lee hasnt moved up that far in the ranks within the last year

"I just wonder if you asked every pro golfer if they had to choose between winning a major or the World No.1 spot what they would choose?" 

i know i cant speak for them but personally i would say they would rather win a major

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 12:33

Graeme has had the best year any European golfer has had since the days of Nick Faldo and Seve in my opinion and fully deserves all the accolades that come his way.

Martin, How on earth you can make a statement like that is really worrying. Yes Graeme has had a good year because he won the US Open & was involved in the pivotal match in the Ryder Cup (but he didn't win it on his own did he?) Below are some FACTS, please read them & if you still believe that he has had the best years any European golfer has had blah, blah , blah then I give up surprisehttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/omg_smile.gif" title="surprise" />

Lee Westwood

Nedbank Golf Challenge Winner

St. Jude Classic Winner

The Masters 2nd

THE 139th OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP 2nd

WGC - HSBC Champions 2nd

Dubai World Championship 3rd

World Ranking No.1

Ian Poulter

UBS Hong Kong Open Winner

WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship Winner

Dubai World Championship presented by DP World 2nd

Barclays Singapore Open 6th

World Ranking 10th

Martin Kaymer

Race to Dubai Winner

PGA Championship Winner

Alfred Dunhill Links Championship Winner

KLM Open Winner

Dubai World Championship 13th

World Ranking - 3rd

Graeme McDowell

US Open Winner

Wales Open Winner

Andalucia Valderrama Masters Winner

Chevron Winner

Barclays Singapore Open 3rd

Dubai World Championship 13th

World Ranking 7th 

Last edit : Wed 15th Dec 2010 12:50
user115085
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 12:41

John - Gmac also won the Wales open and the Chevron world challlenge this year

user115085
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 13:03

There is no doubting Lee has had a very good 2 years (how else would he get to number 1) - but Gmacs 4 wins worlwide against arguably tougher fields. Lee's win at the st jude was more about how Garrigus lost it rather than how Lee won it. Credit due tho he was on top of things at the Nedbank. But for me the way in which GMAC won the US and Chevron, his other wins and part played in the ryder cup along with how he comes accross in interviews he has been the more exciting player to watch and support.

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 13:36

Mark,

I didn't disagree he has had a good year but your basing your statement purely on him winning the US Open.

Kaymer won a Major, had multiple wins, won the Race to Dubai & ranked 3rd in the world & that's just in 2010.

How you can say GMac's year is better than this or other European golfers within the last10 years is what I disagree about.

Of the top of my head I would say Harringtons back to back Open wins is just as good if not better or Monty captaining Europe to a Ryder Cup victory??

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 13:59

Mark,

In your own submissions you have said that Tiger isn't playing well due to swing changes so beating Tiger shouldn't have been that difficult?

Harrington also had worldwide wins in the years he won the Opens that why I was using it as a comparison.

The fact that your now acknowledging that at least Kaymer's year is just as good is a start.

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 14:15

Mark,   You are correct the Open wins were in previous years.  I was indeed referring to them in different years as you had said that GMac's year was the best since Faldo etc. Both of these wins were in that time period & in both of those wins he had also had multiple wins.   If we are asking for clarification on questions can you answer mine then that I've asked you in previous posts.  
  • the remark you made about Westwood saying it was a 'disgrace' in his twitter??
  • your FACT about TV ratings going up when Tiger plays (where are you getting these stats??)

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 14:41

That article is referring to ESPN which is a US based channel which I agreed that US figures would probably increase but I stand by my response that the UK viewing numbers won't be affected.

Glad to see that we've cleared it up that Westwood & GMac didn't use the word 'disgrace' in any of there comments.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 14:43

John,

America has Tiger Viewers who only watch him, just look at US pictures on Sky. A European will be fighting it out with an Asian for top spot and all we see is Tiger, 12 shots back. Tiger misses a cut and US viewing figures for the week-end halve. Tiger is big business in Americas 'viewing wars'.

TheLyth 

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 14:46

Lyth,

I agree he is big business in the US but he doesn't command that when he plays in a European event so the UK viewings won't increase by 50%.

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 16:56

"he beat the whole field at the 2008 US Open with a broken leg!!"

Bit exaggerated to say the least. It was a bad knee.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 17:56

John,

UK viewing figures should be the same, Tiger or no Tiger.

TheLyth

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 18:52

Lyth,

That was precisely my point. Thanks for confirming it.

John.

user16163
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 19:57

john

in your words

"In your own submissions you have said that Tiger isn't playing well due to swing changes so beating Tiger shouldn't have been that difficult?"

if its not that difficult to beat tiger then why is it only a handfull of people have achieved this feat?

user61256
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 20:03

Westwood is the daddy, leads by example and delivers everything except a Major, which you only have four chances a year to win and then he's had two seconds....

Westwood is the talisman of European Golf and was pivotal to the Ryder Cup win, although Gmac sank the putt and won his major.

Westwood to win SPOTY!

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 21:13

Darren,

I was referring to the point which Mark was saying that the only reason Westwood is No.1 is because Tiger is going through swing changes and not playing at his best.

So in answer to your question in the last 3-4 months plenty of people (more than a handful) have beat or placed higher than Tiger in the events he has played. I wasn't taking anything away from GMac's victory against Tiger.

I personally don't believe this is down to swing changes etc but more due to his 'off the field' activities.

Last edit : Wed 15th Dec 2010 21:28
user16163
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 21:49

have to agree with you there john, if he had kept it in his pants the he would probably still be no.1

dirty dirty boy

user260507
Reply : Wed 15th Dec 2010 22:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_aAS8oTZw ;

G-Mac ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL the way!!!

He has been a fantastic ambassador for the game, and some great achievements along the way!

I will remember that putt from Ryder Cup forever, still get chills when i watch it!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 16th Dec 2010 09:35

stick you thoughts on the winner here and be in with a chance of winning a fourball to Brocket Hall!

via TeeoffTimes on their Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/teeofftimes?v=app_7146470109

user331868
Reply : Thu 16th Dec 2010 10:34

IM a massive Lee Westwood fan and proud as punch that we have the worlds number 1 player, but you've got to give it to G-Mac hes been fantastic over the last 3 or 4 months and along with Kaymer / Poulter / and Westwood, have brought the dominance back across the pond to Europe...!!!cheekyhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/tounge_smile.gif" title="cheeky" width="20" />

user331868
Reply : Thu 16th Dec 2010 14:16

My vote goes to Mark tiger Jenkins for his devotion to yes you guessed it TIGER WOODS...!!!

user53837
Reply : Thu 16th Dec 2010 16:55

Does this settle it ?  Back 9 Show http://www.golfshake.com/video/back9/

user38216
Reply : Thu 16th Dec 2010 19:16

Westwood for me all the way. Purely based my enjoyment of watching him play golf. His action is perfection whereas G-Mac seems a bit wayward/jolty if you know what I mean.

G-Mac is certainly in my top 3 to watch. What a putter, I'm not a stats man but when it comes to the clinchers he seems to nail it every time!!

For an outright golf personality, Poulter wins hands down. I love his get the job done attitude. Call it cocky but he backs it up time and time again.

user26342
Reply : Thu 16th Dec 2010 20:27

Agree Dave,

If you get chance follow Poults twitters there's genius. He posted some quality one's just after the Ryder Cup.

user26342
Reply : Thu 16th Dec 2010 20:35

Gary,

Get your tenner ready

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/8189364/Colin-Montgomerie-Lee-Westwood-can-win-the-Masters.html

user246626
Reply : Sun 19th Dec 2010 21:50

Well there were no golfers in the top 3. Only an athelete, darts player and jokey in that order.

user26342
Reply : Mon 20th Dec 2010 11:15

Adam,

It was a jokey as well

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top