Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Grips

Posted by: user338942 | Tue 7th Dec 2010 14:39 | Last Reply

I'm looking to get my clubs regripped. Can anyone advise what grips are getting the top reviews at the moment.

Thanks

re: Grips
user356468
Reply : Tue 4th Jan 2011 20:30

Whatever you do steer clear of Golfpride grips they look and feel great but they will hurt your score and could even make you hit 100 for the first time in 4 years !!!!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 4th Jan 2011 20:54

Hi Ian, can you elaborate ? or is this just friendly banter with Dave

user356468
Reply : Tue 4th Jan 2011 21:00

Its just friendly banter with Dave !!!

user69191
Reply : Fri 7th Jan 2011 17:15

Golfpride Tour Velvet or New Decade

user127691
Reply : Fri 7th Jan 2011 19:34

This is such a difficult one as it is such a personal preference, and the price can vary from £3 a go to nearly £10 per grip. There is so many variations to look at on this one ribbed, round, tour wrap, chorded, midsize, oversize & colour variations it's difficult to give guide on what suits everyone.

My irons currently have golf pride tour velvet, pretty much standard issue on the majority of golf clubs. I'm about to get them upgraded to a set of ribbed, full chord, lamkin crossline but with the ribs on the wrong way round just to be a bit unusual. Probably not going to suit everyone but that's what suits me.

user52922
Reply : Fri 7th Jan 2011 20:00

Lamkin Tour Wrap for me. I like a soft grippy feel.

user224024
Reply : Mon 10th Jan 2011 20:08

Well, why don't we look at what new clubs come with?  After all is a reputable club manufacturer going to spoil their product with a duff grip? Can we agree that the answer is "no"?

I have puchased Mizuno clubs over the last 2 years to replace a wilson starter set. Driver, 3, 5 woods, MX-25 3 to PW and just recently an MX series 60 degree lob wedge. Every one of these clubs came with a Golf Pride black grip, and Mizuno even put their name on it.  Looks to me like the standard Golf Pride grip, with the full length rib underneath, that costs about £4.99.

If it's good enough for Mizuno... and that's what I use...

Also it's very very important that you clean/wash them regularly and change them at least twice a year, based on 40 rounds per year, except perhaps for the clubs you rarely use.  For the clubs you rarely use get them checked after 1 years use and then every few rounds if you didn't change them.  All the above is just a rule of thumb for changing...

Last edit : Wed 12th Jan 2011 13:04

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top