Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

ODDS ON TIGER

Posted by: user8399 | Tue 30th Nov 2010 18:19 | Last Reply

When Tiger won his first major I went out on a limb and told my playing partners that if his odds were 2-1 to win each major the best bet would be to bet the field against him. I seem to recall it was about ten majors before he won again, so that would have shown a tidy profit (at £100 a time, £1000 taken before a £200 payout).

Towards the end of the 2008 season when he had won the PGA with a bad leg (please don't kid me it seriously interefered with his game, my best golf was when I had sciatica but I still had to stop playing!) I told the same guys that they should find a bookie who would give them odds against Tiger winning another major in his thirties, i.e. about 8 or 9 years. Even if you assume he would be an average of 4-1 for each of those majors the true chance of him not winning even ONE of those is around 1000-1 against. A tenner on that bet would be looking quite healthy right now!

Shame I don't bet!

re: ODDS ON TIGER
user8399
Reply : Sat 29th Aug 2015 20:07

Guys, I hope you all took my advice on this bet all those years ago.

I'm about to collect..................................

p.s. I really don't bet - don't need to after this one.

T

Last edit : Sat 29th Aug 2015 20:07

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top