Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Where do you store your clubs during winter?

Posted by: user26342 | Thu 18th Nov 2010 19:52 | Last Reply

Was reading a magazine the other day which said that it wasn't very good to store your golf clubs in an unheated garage, which is exactly where mine are!!

Is this true? What damage would it do to the clubs? Where do other people keep there's?

Last edit : Thu 18th Nov 2010 21:33
re: Where do you store your clubs during winter?
user106712
Reply : Thu 18th Nov 2010 20:23

Mine stay mostly in the car boot as I don't stop playing through winter.

user26342
Reply : Thu 18th Nov 2010 20:27

Adrian,

I don't stop playing either but in between games I store them in my garage. Is it wise to leave your clubs when temperatures can get down as much as -5?

user34817
Reply : Fri 19th Nov 2010 09:20

Mine stay in the corner of the lounge all year round.  My wife won't let me leave them in the garage in case they are nicked, although they are insured.

user26342
Reply : Fri 19th Nov 2010 11:50

Thanks for that Chris,

It's interesting about the Ping's as I've just purchased a set of i15's. I've started to store mine in the dining room instead of the garage but the wife has raised a few eyebrows asking how long they are staying there!

So I'm in the process of trying to build / buy a locker which I can kit out with insulation & put them back into the garage.

user90905
Reply : Fri 19th Nov 2010 16:58

Mine live in the spare bedroom, I clean and dry them after each game and even use headcovers to stop bag chatter and dings. The wife swears they get more tlc than she does!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 19th Nov 2010 17:24

I keep my golf clubs under the stairs.

Even during the summer I won't leave them in the car in case somebody breaks into it.

When I play a round of golf I hang a small towel from my belt, and after each and every shot I will use a wire brush to clean the grooves and a wipe with the towel dries the club.

Storing them under the stairs alllows then grips, etc to dry off.

If you keep your golf clubs in the car/garage/shed then during the winter months the freezing temperatures would affect the metal.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Sat 20th Nov 2010 17:13

Would just like to sling my two penneth in.

Cold will have virtually no ill effects on any components in a club (although the bag is another matter).

The adhesives used are (should be) epoxy mixes that once cured are stable down to very low temperatures (-50C) where they go brittle - so if you get them that cold and try and play they may fracture - but possibly only just after your fingers drop off.  They are only sensitive to elevated temperatures when the chemical bond can be easily broken.

Even if the grips are 100% natural rubber (which they aren't) they will still not be damaged down to about -20C where they lose elasticity.  Add a bit of carbon and the cold resistance is increased.  The only problem may be if cotton is used for corded grips rather than nylon - that could rot in damp conditions.

None of the metal components will be effected in any way by any temperature that we are likely to be able to bear.  Moisture may encourage corrosion in non-stainless steel parts, say through scratches in the plating of shafts, but as they already have high chrome and nickel content it'd be very unlikely that they would 'rust'.  Stainless steal may stain slightly but this can be removed using baby oil, which also protects them (and smells nice).

Having said that, I keep my clubs in my nice warm cozy office. 

user443114
Reply : Wed 10th Sep 2014 16:08

Ive found if I leave clubs in the garage in winter the metal shafts & heads will get rust spots/pitting. I always keep clubs in the house during winter (much to my wifes disgust).

Last edit : Wed 10th Sep 2014 16:08
user607397
Reply : Sun 28th Sep 2014 02:38

My clubs live in my bedroom cupboard all year round. And I also use them all year round.

Last edit : Sun 28th Sep 2014 02:38
user246701
Reply : Sun 28th Sep 2014 17:00

Boot of the car for pretty much all year ... Don't stop playing so no need for storage concerns

Last edit : Sun 28th Sep 2014 17:00

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top