Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Putting left hand below right

Posted by: user75236 | Wed 20th Oct 2010 17:02 | Last Reply

Who putts, or has tried putting, left hand below right?

Anyone who's played with me will know how bad a putter I am from short distances. I tried left hand below right on the practice green the other day and was holing out much more. Was it just because I had been on the practice green for an hour and my eye was in, or does this technique really help for yippy putters like me?

Anyone else benefitted from this putting style?

re: Putting left hand below right
user52922
Reply : Wed 20th Oct 2010 17:24

I don't think it helps with yippy putters, Stuart , because our own Dave Ley uses this method and last time I played with him his short putting was driving him crazy, lipping out all the time.

Confidence is the key, not the method,  positive striking, so hard to do.

user77012
Reply : Wed 20th Oct 2010 17:27

I have for the last couple of seasons, the theory is to help keep your shoulders level at address. They also say you will pull straighter than push, so in theory pull with your left hand on your intended line, My putting went off big time last couple of months ,put a two ball in the bag and am putting right hand low now with better results. Left hand low helped me for quite a while.Good luck.

user77012
Reply : Wed 20th Oct 2010 17:29

You are right John , but I think its was as you think more bad technique than anything I became very jabby.

user331868
Reply : Wed 20th Oct 2010 18:09

HI  Stuart, i have tried this way of putting in the past and it is a better  way of stroking the ball cleanly. and from 5 or 6 feet can be deadly as i find the putter head stays on line more often than not. However i find that the longer putts can be a bit tricky as you loose a bit of feel for the putt, and can often come up short or even too long. A mixture of both is what i tend to do,left hand down on 6 footer's and below and normal grip for the rest.

user24437
Reply : Wed 20th Oct 2010 19:09

It's probably because you're rushing it Stu.  Ever thought about slowing it down a bit?

user83555
Reply : Wed 20th Oct 2010 22:33

yep - confidence is 95% and if you 'have doubts' then try the cack hand putt ! if only to change things !

but also putting is so individual and we are all individual and so it all comes down to what works for you !

over the last 3 months I've changed to getting much lower in my stance over the putt alla snooker looking along the cue to putting looking closer along the line of the putt !

also when I miss the putt even when it goes two foot past I immediately step up and putt it back into the hole without thinking which is successful for me 9 times out of 10

A game within a game

user16163
Reply : Thu 21st Oct 2010 06:45

i got to agree with colin on this

we are all individual and what might work for one may not work for another.

i too was probably one of the worst putters going and i tried the left below right method, it worked for a short time, i now use the 2thumb grip and to be honest i havnt looked back since, my putting has improved no end and it has knocked at least 4-5 shots a round off what i used to do just on putting alone

hence why my h/cap has gone down from 14 to 10

just need to get the rest of my game sorted now winkhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif" title="wink" />

user71861
Reply : Thu 21st Oct 2010 10:04

Morning all,

I am fortunate in so much short game is the best aspect of my golf despite my high scores and I too can only but agree with Colin. Especially with the tiddlers from 3 ft and under. The less you think the easier they become. Putting through half ball breaks etc.

I have tried cack handed but find the wrist unnatural when putting over any distance and can severley lack "umph" leading to too many 3 stabs.

This may be a gym issue of course as oppose to a golfing one!!

user99350
Reply : Thu 21st Oct 2010 13:39

I'm currently using left below right, started out as despetaion to find something to stop me three putting and it's working still after 1 mth.

user26342
Reply : Thu 21st Oct 2010 18:06

Stu,

I use left below right all the time & it works perfect for me

...mind you I am left handed surprisehttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/omg_smile.gif" title="surprise" />

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top