Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Peter Kostis on stupid rules?

Posted by: user77012 | Wed 13th Oct 2010 20:29 | Last Reply

We have touched on this before and i totally agree with no2

How to fix the five dumbest rules in golf

Who was to blame for Dustin Johnson grounding his club in a bunker at the PGA Championship? Some people blame Dustin, others blame his caddie, the PGA rules officials or even Whistling Straits course designer Pete Dye, but for me it was the inevitable result of the needlessly complicated Rules of Golf, which are threatening the enjoyment and growth of the game. One of the coolest things about our game is that it's self-governed. However, if the rules don't make sense, then people will play the way they think is fair, regardless of what the USGA or R&A say. The only thing that gives the R&A and the USGA the right to govern the game is the consent to be governed by the worlds golfers. It's time for the rules to be updated and simplified. Here's where they can start:

1. Bunker Vs. Waste Areas
This distinction is what created the whole PGA Championship debacle. It adds a layer of unnecessary complexity to the game's already complicated rules. "Hmmm, is it a bunker where I can't ground my club or a waste bunker where I can?" The solution: Get rid of waste areas and call everything a bunker.

2. No Relief From Divots and Sand-filled Divots
This one is ridiculous. If a sand-filled divot isn't ground under repair, then I don't know what those words mean. Imagine if I'm playing in the group behind Gary McCord and McCord hits a good drive to the middle of the fairway and then hits a 7-iron to the green, creating a deep divot. If I hit the identical drive and land in the same spot, I'm denied the same playing conditions he had. If a cart tire created the rut, I would get relief, but because the hole in the ground was made by a golfer, then I can't. How does that make sense? Golfers get relief from unusual conditions and those conditions should include divots.

3. Out of Bounds
You are penalized less for whiffing your tee shot than you are for making contact and hitting it out of play. Out of bounds should be played as a lateral hazard rather than stroke-and-distance. The current penalty is too severe. Also, playing OB areas as lateral hazards would speed up play. Many recreational golfers already play OB areas as a lateral hazard for that reason. That, and the fact they are too embarrassed to walk back to the tee while another group is waiting there!

4. Dropping the Ball
Possibly the dumbest rule of all. If you're already taking a penalty, you should be allowed to place your ball on the ground. When you drop it, you need to make sure it doesn't land closer to the hole or roll too far — or whatever! Plus, you bring a bunch of other rules into play. Plus, if you drop two times and the ball still ends up closer to the hole, you get to place the ball anyhow. Enough already. Just the place the ball and get out of there.

5. Disqualification for Penalty Assessed After Round
A player who commits a penalty that only becomes apparent after he signed his scorecard is disqualified. Why? Not for the two-stroke penalty. Instead, his score has changed so he's disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. Just give me the penalty, but don't DQ me under another rule.

re: Peter Kostis on stupid rules?
user99350
Reply : Thu 14th Oct 2010 08:46

Agreed, when a game gets to the point where you're spending more effort thinking what you can do rather than actually doing it is it worth it?

user26342
Reply : Thu 14th Oct 2010 11:20

Dave,

I agree with all of them except for the Out of Bounds.

I think most out of bounds are placed near to areas where a loose ball could cause damage or even perhaps injure by standers. This makes the player think about there shot & decide if it's worth the risk & reward.

I don't think it should be fair to just knock your tee shot down & not have to worry about it going OB. I think that would just favour the non straight hitters.

If people are embarrassed about walking back to the tee then they've only themselves to blame as they could have always played a provisional ball!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 14th Oct 2010 13:08

This discussion could be right up my street.

Pete Kostis has not really thought about everything before saying what he has.

1. A Bunker is a Bunker. If you are not in one (or a Water Hazard) you can ground your club. Simple.

2. Although I agree that it is unfair for us to have to play from a Divot, how would it be policed (preferred lies all the time?). Here if McCord ended up in a shallow divot and took a bigger one to play his shot. How would Kosta then replicate the same lie for himself, he didn't know what it actually was like?

3. When a ball may be in a Water Hazard, the Rules allow for a "Known or virtually certain" situation where a player can proceed without actually finding his ball. If the Rules do change how many guys will "be virtually certain" a ball was Out of Bounds when it was actually 'Lost'. Or are we also to treat a Lost Ball the same as a Water hazard?

4. Why not just have 'Preffered Lies' all the time?

5. Rule 6-1 states that a player should know the Rules. If he makes a mistake and signs for a wrong score he is DQ'd. He can always question a situation before signing.

Knowing the Rules and how to administer them is a game within a game. Why else are there 1200 Decisions telling us how to comply to the 34 main Rules.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top