Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Steel shaft in a hybrid

Posted by: user259181 | Thu 23rd Sep 2010 18:51 | Last Reply

I have a Mizzie mx700 23deg hybrid that I've never really connected with....I very very rarely feel in control of the head. It has a reg flex Exsar HS4 graphite shaft in it....I'm thinking that maybe I should try a steel shaft to try and regain some control. The 23deg is supposed to be a 4 iron replacement.

The shaft length in it currently is 39.75in....the shaft length in the 4 iron proper for my set is 38.25in - if I go down this road of putting in a steel shaft, should I just match the current graphite length or move it to the same length as what a proper 4 iron would be ?

cheers guys

re: Steel shaft in a hybrid
user52922
Reply : Thu 23rd Sep 2010 19:16

Throw it in the dustbin, Lewis and play your 4 iron all the time.

user249845
Reply : Thu 23rd Sep 2010 19:33

You could maybe try cutting some off the graphite shaft & regripping it first?

I did this on my mx700 driver. Cut 11/2 inches off it, so it is now 44 inches. Hitting the ball much better & much more out the middle since.

Not the most technically correct way to do it, I suppose, but might be worth a try?

user52922
Reply : Thu 23rd Sep 2010 20:07

The hybrid is only going to replace the 4 iron distance wise, unfortunately that is all it can do when one compares the different shots one could play with the 4 iron, moreso if it were a blade. A hybrid is basically a wood and will play like a wood. Someone of your aspirations, Lewis, should not be contemplating going down that route. It is a club for those who do not have confidence in hitting the longer irons and once used to some effect will soon become the norm and your further progress will be delayed.

user52922
Reply : Thu 23rd Sep 2010 23:13

Probably why his game has slipped, Greg, I doubt very much whether Mr Harrington plays golf on a cold frosty morning, they tend to follow the sun.

user52922
Reply : Fri 24th Sep 2010 10:00

Perhaps the use of them is what is holding you back from getting into the single figure category.

This game has been around far longer than hybrids and the scores have not improved since they came into being, just like metal woods. There are no cavities on my blades.

There is no substitute for learning to strike a long iron correctly, taking the easy way out is detrimental to ones learning.

Please explain this hotter face rubbish, just a soundbite in my opinion and although I do own a 19 deg hybrid Ping G5, I really cannot see what this club can do as well or better than my irons.

Last edit : Fri 24th Sep 2010 12:41
user52922
Reply : Sat 25th Sep 2010 09:30

Very impressive start to your golf journey, Greg, really impressed. I will shut up and will watch your progress with interest.

You obviously have a natural ability, something I used to possess but has long since disappeared.

user38216
Reply : Sun 26th Sep 2010 08:47

To be considered a good ball striker I think you need to play 3-4 irons consistantly and it will come with practice and guidance. Hybrids seem to be a quick fix but I am as guilty as anyone as I revert to my 4H when my striking is off.

Needless to say my 4h is getting plenty of use at the moment.

user52922
Reply : Sun 26th Sep 2010 10:20

With your power David, you don't need more than a five iron anyway.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top