Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Will I ever learn

Posted by: user71525 | Mon 20th Sep 2010 15:05 | Last Reply

Why why why.

Will I ever learn?

Everyone carps on about getting fitted before buying a wood or a set of irons but I just can't get it though my thick skull.

My latest cock-up came when, after a boring morning at work, I thought I would pop to AG to kill some time. I didn't go into the shop with the intention of buying anything, just really wanted to potter about and have a look at shiney golf stuff.

Anyway, as I looked around I came to the 2nd hand bin and had a quick look. They had a Mizuno MX560 2nd hand for about £70. It was in good nick so I asked if I could go hit it at the range next door. After hitting 1 ball I needed to replace both my ear drums so walked back to the shop with the intention of collecting my credit card and going home.

Then I looked again and they had a TM Superquad in excellent condition for £70. I checked the shaft and it was a Reg which I have never hit in a driver., always assumed I would need a stiff. The loft of the driver was 10.5, more loft then I have had in the past, so this club was far from what I would have said was my ideal.

But, the guy persuaded me to go and have a hit and off I trudged. 15 shots later I walked back to the shop very confused. I was hitting this much higher then my Nike Sumo2 with 9 deg V2 Stiff shaft. Not suprising considering the increased loft. I was also hitting anywhere from a soft draw to straight with it. My miss recently had been right all day long.

But, having the will power that only last a few hours I told the guy I would think about it and come back the next day for an AB test with my current Driver.

Are you bored yet?

Anyway next day I tried them side by side and the Superquad was agin hitting it high and left of centre wheras the Nike was still fady and low. Distance did not appear to be that different.

So, wothout any of the previous days will power,  I bought it - twat. When will I ever learn that golf clubs are like puppies in a dogs home, They look at you with big sad eyes and behave impecably until the moment you hand over the cash then and only then do they reveal there true character.

First round with it yesterday and was hitting big high hard draw/ hooks all day long. it took me until the last 4 holes before I started hitting it straight. Distance is not noticabley differnt from my Nike but trajectory is illy high, although I am still getting some roll out.

Just went to the range today and couldn't hit the thing at all - Honeymoon over after 1 round. Thats a new record even for me.

re: Will I ever learn
user127691
Reply : Mon 20th Sep 2010 17:33

I've got a Nike str8 fit and I didn't get fitted for mine either. I'm geting the the ball away well great carry a little high on the trajectory but I am getting no roll out at all. I hit my drive off the first yesterday morning (probably my only good shot of the day) the ball carried about 2400yds and rolled -5 yrds giving a totla drive of 235yds. The thing actually moved back 5yds from it's pitch mark, now I know it's damp even in the dead of summer I am getting no more than 5-10yds roll on a drive. 

Following a lesson to see if he could improve this our head pro believes the head and shaft are producing far to much spin and this is my problem. Basically a waste of £20 on a lesson and £150 on a driver. Better luck next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a pretty basic fitting for my 3 wood but they checked spin etc. on the monitor and I would say my 3 wood goes further than my driver when hit well, the carry can be up to 30yds less but the flight is low and piercing and the ball runs for miles.

user320447
Reply : Mon 20th Sep 2010 17:35

"[T]he ball carried about 2400yds ..."

Christ ... got to get me one of those! Ha ha!

Last edit : Mon 20th Sep 2010 17:35
user127691
Reply : Tue 21st Sep 2010 07:39

I know and i'm pretty sure with the right club I could get the extra 1120yds I need to make the 2 mile mark, I just need to remeber to swing easy.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top