Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

better golf balls

Posted by: user287156 | Fri 17th Sep 2010 01:20 | Last Reply

I am looking at getting some srixon ad333 balls i am pretty new to golf haven't even done the full 18 yet. they say 80mph club speed on the box does this mean they are not so good under 80mph as i don't feel my club speed is that high. Should i try speeding my swing up instead of using a lower club?or istry differnt balls out. i currently use some cheapo dunlop balls from sports direct :D

Also how could i find out my club speed?

Thanks Dan

re: better golf balls
user24437
Reply : Fri 17th Sep 2010 09:44

Can't really go wrong with AD333's, good hard wearing all-round ball at a reasonable price.  A lot of people would also recommend the Wilson DX2 as being in the same category although I've never used them myself.

My advice would be to stop worrying about your swing speed, get a decent type of ball that feels OK and stick with it for at least a dozen or so.  It's amazing how quickly you get used to the feel and you can use that as a benchmark when you try out different sorts. 

user287156
Reply : Fri 17th Sep 2010 11:13

Thanks guys if i buy th ad333s will they work even if my swing is slower?

Thanks

user287156
Reply : Fri 17th Sep 2010 11:33

Thanks will be buying my self some of these :D

user43166
Reply : Fri 17th Sep 2010 14:07

Daniel,

You say you are new to the game and still to venture our for a full 18. Welcome to the world of golf, your life will never be the same!!

If you are anything like I was as a beginner, you are going to lose a lot of balls. So, really, I wouldn't worry too much about the make. If the Dunlop one's from Sports Direct are the ones I've seen (quadralink I think) then they are perfectly adequate - save your money for more rounds / lessons, get yourself up to a reasonable level and then worry about your balls (if you pardon the expression).

Good luck...

user24437
Reply : Fri 17th Sep 2010 14:27

Good point Paul, I'm afraid I was guilty of not reading the OP properly.

I started with Dunlop DDH's, but I've heard good things about the Quadra which is it's replacement.  They usually have piles of them in places like Sports Direct, also Decathlon have their own brands which are cheap and decent (an occasional partner uses them).

I'd still try and stick to one type though...  

user43166
Reply : Fri 17th Sep 2010 15:28

Agreed - playing with the same ball consistently is preferrably.

I love the Wilson DX2. Broke 80 for the first time this year, then realised that I had reverted to the Dunlop Quadralink that I was trying to use up. Gutted... Still sticking to the DX2 though!!

user287156
Reply : Fri 17th Sep 2010 17:44

Thanks i will use the 18 or so that i have left and see what happens was just hoping for a bit more distance on my game.

should get out on the 18 soon :D

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 18th Sep 2010 18:44

When I started playing the game again after a long break I used the Donnay balls.

They worked pretty well around the greens and were very cheap.

If you are new you are probably losing a few balls each round, but you'll also be finding plenty!!!

Use the balls you find and remember which ones you like, that's all I did.

For me, I now use the Titleist Pro V1 in the summer months and the Titleist NXT Tour ball during the winter.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top