Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Fearless Golf

Posted by: user93410 | Wed 15th Sep 2010 22:51 | Last Reply

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to relax during a competitive round of golf?

I often make a hash of it when I'm particularly keen to play well and frequently only relax once I know I can't post a decent score...

Today was a case in point.  Mid-week medal at the golf club.  Hoped to play well and get my club handicap down from 13.  However, triple bogey on the first set the scene and I laboured to 11 points on the front 9.  On the back 9 I had 8 pars for 22 points but no good overall. 

Todays round was probably more extreme than usual but I often see this pattern. 

Also, if I play the first 14 holes well then I'll probably struggle with the last four...

Any suggestions?

Playing the back nine first isn't an option...   ....and I do usually hit some balls before going out.

Charles

Last edit : Wed 15th Sep 2010 23:05
re: Fearless Golf
user319949
Reply : Wed 15th Sep 2010 23:15

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golf-Not-Game-Perfect-Rotella/dp/0743508092/ref=tmm_abk_title_0

user77012
Reply : Thu 16th Sep 2010 08:31

Here you go Charles a man that can

http://www.gtour.co.uk/forums/view/6302/Ask_Adam_advice_form_the_Adam_Sprackling_Gtour_Mind_Coach.html

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 16th Sep 2010 08:32

It's all in your mind!!!

I have read what you posted and you say things like "Hoping to reduce my handicap".

This is already putting pressure on yourself to do well.

Just turn up and go through your normal warm-up routine, then play your normal golf.

The fact you are playing in a competition should not come into your mind.  To you, you should just be having a round of golf.  The only difference will be that you will hand in your scorecard at the end!

Russ

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 16th Sep 2010 10:40

Well said Russ, I tried that approach several times yesterday still didn't sink at 15 footers though

user93410
Reply : Thu 16th Sep 2010 11:47

Thanks for the replies.

Not a game of Perfect is possibly the best golf book I've ever read and has definitely helped me.  For example, I'm now much more accepting of poor shots than I ever used to be.   Clearly I still have a way to go on the mental game and probably need to read it again...  I've actually read most of Rottella's books and have been thinking about buying Gio Valiante's Fearless Golf.  Hence the post title!

Dave - thanks for the link to Adam Sprackling.  Sounds interesting and very much along the same lines as Rotella.   Have you managed to master 'staying in the present'?  I find this difficult.  Clearly some people are much better at this than others.  I don't mind being classified in the same group as Dustin Johnson (US Open 2010) and Paul Casey (BMW last week and arguably the Open 2010)!

Russ - I agree with you but unfortunately I find it impossible to see all my rounds as the same.   Some matter much more to me and I totally accept that causes me to inadvertantly put more pressure on myself.  If I could treat every round the same as playing a few holes on my own for practice then I might be a sfg!  In my dreams anyway...    Will work on it!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top