Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Transferring driving range technique to course

Posted by: user107198 | Sun 12th Sep 2010 23:08 | Last Reply

My problem is quite straightforward - on the range I'm brilliant, but on the course I can't replicate the same swing and quality of strike. On the range my swing is easy, languid and 90% of the shots I hit are right out of the screws with a slight draw. I start off in the same vein on the course, but by about the 6th hole, all that's out of the window and I'm hitting an assortment of ropey shots that can be any shape and distance. I've usually consigned my driver to the bag by this point as well, after hitting monotonously straight and long drives on the range with it. I'm of the opinion that once you get to a certain level in golf, most of it is in the mind - the question is, how do you maintain that level of concentration on the course? 

re: Transferring driving range technique to course
user5999
Reply : Mon 13th Sep 2010 17:47

What may work is when on the range play it as though your playing the course

so imagine what hole your on and what shot you need to play

user331868
Reply : Wed 3rd Nov 2010 07:15

I sometimes suffer the same thing,the reason for it in my view is that on the range your not really aiming at a specific target so your swing is generally a nice and easy one.However when your on a golf course your aiming at a green or its a hole where you need to hit a long drive so you tend to give it a little more welly and your swing suffers.The thing to remember is try and keep your swing nice and easy for every shot. If your say 190 yards from green and that's the max you hit your 5 iron then hit a 4 iron and its the same for every club, if your not quite sure you can reach your target always use the next club down, try it Michael even if you cant reach the green with any club in your bag just pick a spot to lay up, with the same easy swing you use at the range....!!!!

user217280
Reply : Wed 3rd Nov 2010 16:17

Michael

I had a similar problem a few years ago when I played a tight course with lots of trees. I started to try and steer the ball instead of releasing the club head and committing fully to the shot, it was basically because I was thinking to much about the trouble off the tee, instead of the swing, which would be the case if I was hitting on a driving range.  So to take my mind off the trouble, I looked at my target line from behind and pick out a leaf or a blade of grass, about 2 or 3 feet infront, then I would set up to hit my ball over that target,  I would not look down the fairway again, just send the ball over the leaf or blade of grass., It stopped me thinking about the trouble. I found that my mind was then focused on the swing. it worked well for me.  

user363440
Reply : Tue 22nd Feb 2011 11:49

i use same method and its very affective 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top