Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The Claw putting grip

Posted by: user259181 | Thu 9th Sep 2010 17:10 | Last Reply

Some may have read my post a couple of days ago about the fact that I plan to concentrate on my putting to help get my h/c down

I stumbled across the claw grip.......it is where you have a normal left hand grip but your right hand sits at 90deg to your left ontop of the shaft with all your fingers staying straight....and your right thumb on the back (closest to your body) of the shaft

I spent an hour today trying this out and I was quite surprised - It took 15mins to feel comfortable with the grip but from the get go I found it much easier to keep a straighter action and hence a straighter roll on the ball. I think most of this was to do with the follow through as it seems to put you in a position for your right hand/arm to 'go to' the hole and there is no wrist action to break down.

I found it quite an eye opener.....I'll keep at it on the putting green and rounds when I'm on my own for a while yet before I employ it in a comp.

Have any of you guys got any experience of this grip?

re: The Claw putting grip
user77012
Reply : Thu 9th Sep 2010 20:14

Yes you have explained it well Lewis I have used it maybe a few years ago now ,but it wasn't for long. You should try a few diferent styles to see which you get the best results from and the most comfortable. Struggling myself at the mo so just got out the old two ball out to see if i can get some confidence back. Played a matchplay pairs today and the beggars Knew I was struggling with short putts and duely gave me nada

Last edit : Thu 9th Sep 2010 20:15
user52922
Reply : Thu 9th Sep 2010 20:29

Yes, Dave they phoned me to ask about your short putting and I explained that you hit the ball nice and firmly to the back of the cup but never dead centre, so they always lip out.

user77012
Reply : Thu 9th Sep 2010 21:17

To true John I believe but I maybe wrong but i thnk my problem is trying to hit my toe balance putter straight back and through and missiing left or catching left edge with to much pace and Angelina Jolieing.    hence the two balls out.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top